Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alluding to an earlier thread I started about an Atheran Genesis GP-7 I bought from a seller that was even more ignorant than me about what he was selling, I managed to get the shell off for a look. It appears to me that it has a decoder. Am I correct? Also I don't see a speaker, so no Tsunami. Would I be able to refit it with a Tsunami sound decoder? Many thanks in advance. See pix.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Nope. That's an adapter board. If you want to change the loco to DCC ya need an 8 pin decoder. Ya pull that one plug out that has the rainbox colored wire harness on it and plug your DCC decoder in its place.

·
Registered
714 Posts
D&J is right. But do bear in mind you still would need to install a speaker if you want sound... And that is a very tough job, plus another $20 (+-)....

·
Registered
8,653 Posts
As D&J says, you have what is known as a DCC READY locomotive.
That means it is a DC loco that you can run on a track run by
a DC power pack but, if you have a DCC controller you would want
to buy either a non sound 8 pin plug in Decoder or for more $
for a Sound decoder...mounting the speaker is the greatest
challenge.

Don

·
Registered
827 Posts
No.
I don't see a decoder in your pic above.

What I DO see is an 8-pin connector with a dummy plug in it, and a 9 pin connector, again with what looks to be a "bridge board" or dummy board plugged into it.

You can get either an 8-pin decoder (there are some that are quite small, less than postage-stamp size) and plug it into the 8-pin socket, or get a 9-pin decoder and remove the bridge board (at the end of the tether) and plug that in.

Either way should work fine.
Sound? It's gonna cost you MORE.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts