Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my dcc converter says violet and green are not used. I am guessing its cheaper to order millions of the same and not use some wires.

Bit nervous just cutting them off... and shortening the rest of them. anyone leave wires long and bunched up or just suck it up and cut to length with some slack?

·
Registered
890 Posts
If there is room to secure them I don't cut them off. Just be sure they aren't able to short out and leave them alone.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I usually cut down to a inch, in case I need to use them in the future (which hasn’t happened, as once I finish a decoder / led install I’m done). Good tip on CA glue..cheers

·
Registered
134 Posts
Newby here with something I have done many times before.
I don't know what gauge wire you are talking about, but I think small. I don't know if wire is solid or stranded. This may work.
Get pencil and wrap wire around pencil so that it coils a down length of pencil. Tight. No overlaps. Slide pencil out of coil, Small wires will usually hold that coil for some time.
Andy

·
Registered
555 Posts
I always either cap our cut and seal them some kind of way(I usually completely terminate and solder and shrink wrap). It's not worth it to me, to eventually(what can happen, will happen sooner or later) have an issue that I have to try and trace. Or worse..

I think on my layout I have one pair of wires. They are capped, and that was only because at the time, and tip this day, I haven't decided whether or not to re run them back up as feeders. But besides that one pair, I don't believe in leaving them..

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
Good trick Andy. In the case of the decoders I've used, the wires are super small gauge and stranded, so they won't hold a shape.

·
Registered
8,872 Posts
I work with O-Gauge now which might make things different than in HO or N. If in a loco I cut the un-needed wire short to an inch and leave it. If I'm working under the layout and have un-necessary wires I will remove them entirely if I can and otherwise cut them flush - my intention never to use them again (I'll rewire with new if need another wire there).

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
i like things fairly neat ... so on locos i trim the wires to fit, and unneeded wires go to about one inch, and are folded over for about 1/4 of that, and shrink wrapped ..
worked okay for last half dozen years or so ..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts