Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased some HO items for my O Scale layout because the Walthers and similar kits offer more options and in some cases what I need is not available in O Scale.

Some of the items are related to grain elevators. I was at Trainfest in 2019 and I purchased a couple of built HO Walthers grain elevators because as I looked at them I could see that they would work on an O Scale layout. Grain Elevators come in all sizes here in Iowa and the midwest and a Grain Elevator complex is a must have for Granger (Farm) country layouts.

I also purchased a Lionel O Scale Grain Elevator (old style) to mix in with my HO kits and builts.

I was at a hobby store in St Paul this week that had a huge selection of Walthers and other HO kits. Those HO guys have it so nice. So much variety. I saw a Concrete Mill kit for $100 that I passed on but I could envision using it for a variety of applications on my layout including grain elevator or a milling operation.

I eventually passed on it but took a photo of it. I did purchase a Northern Light and Power power station transformer, the items in a chained link fenced off area that transmit power out - which I surmised is adaptable to O scale because again - I see various sizes of power stations in suburbs or industrial areas. I have the Menards O Scale Power Generator station, which I plan to place this HO transformer next to.

Do you guys mix and match as long as it's not brick and mortar buildings?

·
Registered
252 Posts
About the only thing I’m considering is the heavy duty crane from Walthers. I need a decent looking one for a forward facing crane, outside, for a building I’ll be scratch building. Right now my plan is to use a bunch of Bachmann/Plasticville O scale signal tower kits for the legs/supports for the crane.

**If you want an idea of the complex I’ll be modeling, pull up Geurtl Specialty Steel / Simonds Saw & Steel in Lockport NY. Google Maps (street view) has some very good shots of it curbside.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Many of the Walthers and Brawa HO street lights and building lights work in O scale.

Pete

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It seems that purchases of 'things' that are free standing is open to using HO or O but not buildings next to each other. My power substation should be fine. An HO train depot next to an O Depot not so much. Street lamps you see in all sizes.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Some train people might not endorse this, but I've read that "selective compression" is one way to make scales other than O work for an O gauge layout. In my case, I built a tall mountain (a mistake) that was so tall for the layout that I found an HO roadway going from one side to the other with a few vehicles on it didn't look too bad. You might not agree, but I also found that some HO peeps inside smaller passenger cars looked at home. S gauge people work best for O gauge passengers, but are hard to find.
this one .jpg
IMG_3157 copy.JPG
IMG_3640 copy.JPG
IMG_2507.JPG
lounging in the dome car  copy.JPG
d to find.

·
Hobo for Life
6,063 Posts
Forced prespective works , just ask disney. Put the smaller stuff at the back of the layout. And the bigger stuff up front. Ishmael i forgot how good you stuff was.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its so frustrating to go into a hobby store and see all the options that HO hobbyists have for the layout. Walthers does a good job. Its not just variety but cost. Woodland Scenics has some nice built items but the cost is quite high and they generally put too much detail on them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts