Model Train Forum banner

Do you think Model Railroader is worth the money?

• Yes, I get both Print and Digital editions

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Yes, but I only get Print editions

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • Yes, but I only get Digital editions

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Maybe, but I am considering not renewing

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Not any more, there are plenty of other places to find similar content online

Votes: 10 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you think Model Railroader is still worth the money?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
When I realized I was doing better on less with little reference to their most recent issues, I realized I left my hobby back in 1975 where it belongs...imagination, creativity, innovation and open frame motors...wouldn't have it any other way.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Sometimes I can actually find an article tucked in between all the advertising.

·
Registered
4,521 Posts
I'm not renewing because most of their articles are more involved and technically intricate than I want to go. Since discovering the MTF, I find a lot more useful info here, thanks to all the members.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The responses seem to confirm my feelings on this as well.

They keep raising the prices, and the content is often lacking, and nothing that different from what can be found other places.

Also, I recently discovered MRH (Model Railroad Hobbyist), an online free magazine that is of a similar nature. It has online viewer, as well as PDF versions you can download, as well as back issues. There are a good number of ads, but because it is free, I have no problem with that.

I don't think I am going to keep my MR subscription much longer, I just don't think it is worth it any more.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I recently took out a subscription for MR but will not renew because Zinio won't allow me to download and keep unless I upgrade to Win10.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I just checked out MRH online and was impressed. Back issues are quickly readable with lots of great tips. Give it a shot. I'm confident you'll like it.
Bob

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Unfortunately it sounds like they're suffering the fate of all print media. The rise of the internet has sapped the strength of magazines, newspapers, etc.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I still subscribe........I enjoy the layout articles/features, and the tests. It also keeps my foot in the door for other scales since they cover most scales. My other 2 magazines are N scale. And surprisingly, I LIKE the ads.

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Well, something like this is always going to be a matter of individual preference.

Personally, I like the mix of articles, excellent photography, track plans, and yes, I find the advertising helpful (most of it, anyway). Digital only is just a couple of bucks an issue. Well worth it to me.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The digital version is pretty much identical to the print version.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Only you can decide if its worth it for you. I think its a good entertaining read. I get the digital version which runs very well on my tablet.

I also used to get Continental Modeller published by Peco which is also good but it relies more on European outline (not British) and features more actual layouts than MR. Has at least one US layout per issue.

·
Registered
4,094 Posts
Value of Model Railroader Magazine

Practically every idea used on my railroad can be traced back to a Model Railroader article. So yes, I feel it's worth the money, or I wouldn't keep renewing my subscription!;)
Even with decades of experience, I often find new ideas in MR. This would be even more true for newer modelers.

Traction Fan

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have 4 box's of MR issues from late 90s and early 2000s. They have twice the number of pages unlike todays. I have been out of the hobby for a long time and just recently getting interested again. So I am considering getting another subscription.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
Not the Same!!

I have YEARS of back issues of MRR and can find plenty of items that you can't find in the current format for projects or just old articles from a bygone era......DCC and plugging new product lines a 50/50 split...but my wife likes the pictures and at $42.95 for 12 issues she can't let me NOT have bathroom material...ergh reading material:laugh::laugh:

·
Registered
185 Posts
I left the hobby in the mid 90s and came back just a few years ago.
MR has been very helpful for me learning all the new techniques that have come into use in the time I wasn't in the hobby. I've learned a lot of new stuff and new/better ways to do things that didn't exist when I was still in HO scale.
So for me, yeah, it's been worthwhile.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts