Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about a layout, but I don't think the switches that I want exist. Does anyone make custom track?

Picture two circles that touch in the middle like a figure 8. Where they overlap it basically brings together four curved pieces. The switching part of the track would go from one curve to the other. Making an X with curved ends

Am I making sense? I can see it in my head, but couldn't find something like that online. I don't have enough spare parts to yank any apart, and don't have the tools to do it either actually. I can't be the only person who has ever wanted something like that, but the question is, where to get it?

Of course, it may be out there already, and I just didn't come across it in my search...

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
A double slip switch? You may want to reach out to Ross Custom Switches. They have over 40 different hand-built configurations to choose from. If you need something custom they may be able to build it for you.

http://www.rossswitches.com/

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
HI, Michelle,
It is "radii."
I actually made an O-27 switch like you want about 45 years ago. I think I still have it.

If I sent it to you, could you duplicate it? It would take a few tools.

The one in the picture looks like O-27. Can you buy the one in the picture?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just called Ross, they don't do any diameter less than 31.

The one in the picture is from a webpage that was put up in 2002, and doesn't have any contact information besides a mailing address for the guy. I emailed the website to see if they have any contact information for the guy who was selling the manual on how to make the switch pictured above.

I could probably put one together, I don't have many metal tools, that's the real issue. Most of the work I do is home remodelling, so I work in wood, PVC, tile, etc. Not much metal besides a few miles of copper wire!!

One of my 1121 switches is pretty banged up, I may yank it apart and see if I can build a switch with it and a curve on a piece of sheet aluminum with JB weld. (I looooooove JB weld!) JB is non-conducting, so it would insulate the tracks. Hmmm....

Unless someone wants to make a few bucks and save me the headache? :cool:

Though admittedly, it would be cool to make it myself!

·
Hobo for Life
6,208 Posts
I don't have any wyes but I do have a lot of 027 stuff. If servoguy doesn'thave eeverything you need let me know. Some of it is in better condition then others. And if you want it its yours, switches, track etc. I

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm happy to take (and happy to pay for) any O27 track / controllers / switches that people would like to re-home. :)

I'm experimenting, and a lot of what I have right now isn't useable due to the ends being mangled and the track warped.

And thanks for the offers guys, I really appreciate it.

So here's another question for you, what are all of you doing for track? It sounds like O27 is the "entry level"? Are you on O? Or Super O? (I think that's what it's called? The one that's tracks, not tubular?) Or switched scaled?

Enquiring minds want to know. ;)

·
Hobo for Life
6,208 Posts
I personally like the o scale track. Easy to work with and sturdy. Plus it's what I remember as a kid. Lots of people like o27, super o is way cool but $$$. I got lots of 027 you can have.( just shipping) + switches ( lots of eras). Tell me what you need.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I like O27 and O. I'd be willing to try Fastrack but the switches cost too much in my opinion.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I like tubular track for nostalgic reasons.
Also I like that it comes in two sizes.
I realize that neither one comes close to scale,
but hey, these are toy trains we are running.

I have already bought some quantities of both
regular O gauge as well as O27 track for my
upcoming layout. I plan on using O for all
of my main lines, with mostly O72 curves but
some O56 and even O42 are necessary in
some (mostly hidden) places.

I plan to use O27 in O42 diameter size for
the long branch line and both yards and
industrial areas and sidings. And real O27
for a trolley line around the city.

I like it that even though all of the track is
nowhere close to scale, at least the mainline
track will look larger than the secondary track
just as it does on the real thing.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking that I would modify the switch part (I think that's the frog? Right?) so that its shorter, or put a left and right together to get the curves right. I don't really know until I start pulling things apart and getting into it.

I'm a cowboy learner at heart. That makes things more difficult... And more fun.

·
Registered
2,737 Posts
I have a little O-72 and a little O-42 but mostly I have O-31. I have 100+ 022 switches and about 50 control sections and a bunch of crossings. I just bought some prewar American Flyer O-40 switches and will put a 022 switch motor on them so they work again. Presently most of them are jammed due to a broken die cast gear. I like tubular track for several reasons: 1. It's what I wanted when I was a kid 60 years ago. 2. It is very cheap. I pay 50 cents to $1 per section. 3. It is easy to cut to size. 4. It is rugged. 5. I can cut down some of the 022 switches to bring sidings closer together.

This suits my style. I am not building a model railroad. I play with toy trains. And so far, I always make a layout on the floor.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts