Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got this beautiful MTH O - 3Rail Pennsy Q2, it is model # 20-3412-1 with the wireless drawbar. Problem with it is that when placed on the track it does nothing. No lights, No smoke, No sound, No movement, I am not really that familiar with the electronics on these engines, and I do not have the MTH DCS system (I know, it would make things a lot easier to diagnose the problem) I am not sure where to start to figure out the issue. The engine appears to have little to no run time, I think it was mainly displayed from the looks. So far I have used my charger to re-charge the possible dead battery, it made no difference. I am thinking that I should try swapping out the tender from another MTH engine with a wireless drawbar to see if the problem lies in the engine or tender electronics?? Then if the engine runs I at least know that it is not the issue?? Any thoughts? Jerry

·
Admin
44,220 Posts
When you power up the track, do you hear a click of a relay? Try checking the connectors inside the locomotive that connect to the wireless drawbar.

This may have to go to a tech to diagnose what is going on. The good news is that it uses the later 3V PS/2 electronics.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No click, no nothing. Tried the alternate engine and tender. With another tender, I got sounds from it and the engine marker lights blinked on once. When I connected the alternate engine to the Q2 tender it was scary, I smelled that bad electrical meltdown smell and shut power off immediately. I then connected the alternate engine and tender up and all seemed ok, I was lucky. I now assume I have issues in both the engine and tender electronics. What do you guess the worst case scenario cost would be to replace the boards in the engine and tender? What do you suggest I do from here? Jerry

·
Registered
8,868 Posts
Also, check all the switches underneath the loco to make sure they are fully seated in the correct position. I had one PS loco that misbehaved - one of the switches was sort of caught in-between its two switch positions. With that fixed, it ran well.l

1 - 6 of 6 Posts