Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm curious if something like this is even possible. Basically it's a turnout except the trains NEVER turn out, they only go straight, and if they come in from the side track it allows the train to continue. No switching needed. See below, the circled areas are what I want.

When I was a kid I had an HO scale and we learned the turnouts would behave this way if you just left them in the straight position. The trains could enter the side and the wheels would push the closed track out of the way. My N scale cars are too light, and if the switch isn't turned correctly the cars derail.

Ultimately what I'm after is a length of track that will allow trains to pass each other without needing to flip switches. Obviously the timing would have to be right but on a long enough track that is easier to deal with just by adjusting the speed. If there's another way to accomplish this I'd love to hear about it.

Can manual turnouts be altered by removing a part perhaps? I wouldn't expect completely removing that moving part would work because it seems like those pieces are needed to support the train. But maybe if the moving part was stuck in place, and only a couple of small gaps were cut, I think it could work. Before I destroyed on I thought I'd ask for any better solutions.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yes they do exist in real life. I don’t know the name of that type of crossing but they were used at the end of a street car route to turn the car around and continue back home. They are spring loaded for the right turnout route and the wheel flanges on the truck force them open for the return.

Walt Disney World uses them to provide a passing track and a turn around for their horse drawn wagon rides on Main Street. The track is a single main line opening to a pair of passing tracks in the center section and a circle at each end. There are two wagons that are on the track at the same time. They start out together on each end, pass at the middle section, go to the far end and circle around back.

LeRoy

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To clarify, I mean do they exist for an N scale railroad, so that N scale cars can be directed to the correct track without derailing when coming in from the side?

N scale cars are too light to push the moving track out of the way, or at least the ones that I have are.

·
Registered
244 Posts
To clarify, I mean do they exist for an N scale railroad, so that N scale cars can be directed to the correct track without derailing when coming in from the side?

N scale cars are too light to push the moving track out of the way, or at least the ones that I have are.
Yes, I understand about trying to model this action in N scale. I have been unsuccessful in doing this in HO scale. Let me know how you accomplish this so I can maybe do the same.

LeRoy

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
Sttreetcar amd tram systems around the world use these spring 'loaded' turnouts to this day. I see them regularly when I take the many
Tram tours of various world cities on Youtube. You could make your own by simply removing
any locking springs on your turnouts and creating a very light spring to move the points back to original position after a train has gone thru.
It would seem to be difficult for N scale since the cars weight so little, their wheel flanges would likely 'jump' the point and derail instead of 'pushing
the point' aside as intended. Perhaps tiny springs made for watches could be utilitzed for the point return. And, you could add weight to
your cars to make point jumping less likely.

Don

·
Registered
787 Posts
What's the big diff ? You got 2 left hand switches forming a passing facility of sorts and is perfectly fine to create..
Also, if sprung, they're called 'spring switches'; quite diff from single and double 'slip switches'...
Coincidentally just yesterday I was watching a video where the modeler said he could not get a certain spring switch he'd developed to operate correctly no mater what he tried...
I hope, if you are planning this, you have better luck than he... 🛤🌄

·
Registered
244 Posts
I made Replies #2 and #4 above. I am modeling in HO Scale. I tried removing the spring from the turnout but my engine couldn’t even switch the turnout without jumping the track. So with that much weight, I couldn’t get that idea to work. But I got to thinking and made the following diagram. Basically I started to think of the junction as a one sided “diamond crossing”. Nothing moves and the trains stays on track by use of the black Guard Rail.

What are you thoughts?

What improvements would be beneficial?
RR Loop Crossing.JPG

LeRoy

·
Registered
787 Posts
LeRoy, you said "I tried removing the spring from........". Perhaps you're talking about the spring in a Peco switch...If so, that's not what is meant by a 'spring switch'..
A spring switch in real life allows a train to enter it from the double track end and push the otherwise wrongly thrown points away as each wheel hits them...That's not what the spring in Peco switches is replicating..THAT spring is there to hold the points in whichever route you flip them to to insure the model doesn't derail entering it from the single (toe) end..
Making a model of a 1:1 scale 'spring switch' is different than that..Leave alone I heard they are impossible to get to work correctly, anyway...
Also, the black line in your schematic actually represents a 'tongue switch'..where only one blade is thrown..They are or were found in middle of streets in city industrial areas..
There used to be a bunch of them in the middle of Alameda st. in Los Angeles. But they've all been removed now...
Hope I haven't confused the issue...M

·
Registered
106 Posts
How about using gauntlet track? That's where two sets of track occupy the same roadbed. You would only have to deal with two frogs. No points needed.

·
Registered
787 Posts
This and post #13 have nothing to do with the subject at hand. This is a gantlet track (or switch if you must) and looks like it may have a crossover in the distance..
LeRoy may be able to employ it. But it's not what the thread has been referring to...

·
Registered
787 Posts
Homeless by Choice, LeRoy..
If you really are homeless how do you possess a train layout ? Or, do you not and only chose to, say, ponder its existence ? This would be OK..But am just curious as to your moniker's implication....

·
Registered
106 Posts
This and post #13 have nothing to do with the subject at hand. This is a gantlet track (or switch if you must) and looks like it may have a crossover in the distance..
LeRoy may be able to employ it. But it's not what the thread has been referring to...
telltale...the post has everything to do with the thread. Mushtang is attempting to create a way for two trains to pass each other. Spring switches are one way, electronics another, and gauntlet track is yet another by eliminating moving points. telltale...maybe you can open up your mind to consider all options and not just the ones YOU deem worthy.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
telltale...the post has everything to do with the thread. Mushtang is attempting to create a way for two trains to pass each other. Spring switches are one way, electronics another, and gauntlet track is yet another by eliminating moving points. telltale...maybe you can open up your mind to consider all options and not just the ones YOU deem worthy.
I actually don't see how the piece you showed does help. It's probably because I don't understand how it works, or how it can help trains pass each other. But if two tracks occupy the same space but trains can't pass between them wouldn't that just make the situation worse? If you can use this gauntlet track to do what I'm asking for please please please explain with more diagrams. That would rock.

My main goal is to avoid electronic or manual switching for this passing lane, and just have passive track which directs trains in the correct direction. If that kind of piece is not available, and I'm starting to think it's not, then I'll go with electronic switching for those intersections. I'll have 10 powered turnouts elsewhere on the layout so it's not the end of the world if that's the final answer.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It really does NOT remotely achieve the same result.

The poster wants to add a passing siding to single track without moving switch points (can't really be done).

Gantlet track is used on double track to squeeze through a bottleneck like a bridge or tunnel without actually using switches to make a short section of single track.

I don't think he wants to gantlet the entire rest of the layout in order to make a small passing siding in one spot.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It really does NOT remotely achieve the same result.

The poster wants to add a passing siding to single track without moving switch points (can't really be done).

Gantlet track is used on double track to squeeze through a bottleneck like a bridge or tunnel without actually using switches to make a short section of single track.

I don't think he wants to gantlet the entire rest of the layout in order to make a small passing siding in one spot.

cv_acr YES IT DOES.

This is what the poster asked for:

And this will give him what he wants:

Two trains can pass each other using gauntlet track which eliminates the points. He'll have to handlay the track, and figure a way of timing the two trains so that they hit the passing track at the same time.

Most model forums encourage discussion and the sharing of ideas...this is not one of them.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts