Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9307 is fun to watch, but it is loud!

I don't want to try to "improve" it if they all sound like this.

It works well, if you can tolerate the noise.

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
Dave, my new one dosent make a sound, I have an old one, never run( by Me) Ill look for it and check it out. Yours does sound unusualy loud.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
I don't have one but it does sound loud?
I must add that I never heard one either.
They vibrate around right?
Maybe something that makes it vibrate is loose or something?

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just noticed yours is newer model than my 3444, but mine is also pretty loud and takes a fair amount of voltage to get it to move. Yours definitely has a smoother action, my hobo gets caught ever so slightly going around one of the corners.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't have one but it does sound loud?
I must add that I never heard one either.
They vibrate around right?
Maybe something that makes it vibrate is loose or something?
If you play the video on an iPhone with the sound at max, you will get a good example of just how loud it really sound.

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
Dave, mine is uncleaned but is loud too! It was louder then my NYC f3 pulling 5 aluminum cars! So , normal noise.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

So, I guess it isn't broken, so I can't fix it!

(It hasn't stopped be before:D)

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
That car is awesome. I might have to try and find one as my son would love it. If it does it through vibration then it's probably similar sounding to my #356 freight station. When that thing is on people can't talk to each other in the room.

·
Registered
226 Posts
That car is awesome. I might have to try and find one as my son would love it. If it does it through vibration then it's probably similar sounding to my #356 freight station. When that thing is on people can't talk to each other in the room.
Ain't that the truth? I got one of those stations in 1955 and still have it, there is an adjustment underneath but at it's best it is seriously loud. I never turn the thing on now but I think back to the days when we lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building which of course back then everybody had hardwood floors. My train was on a 4x8 platform with 4 in. boards around the perimeter of it which kind of acted like a drum on that hardwood floor. I can't imagine what the people underneath us must have thought when I had the train running and activated the station too.
Come to think of it people never did stay in that apartment very long from my recolection:p

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
The gap between the metal plate and the coil is adjustable. I bent it closer on one old model and it ran quieter but the speed of the chase slows down. If the gap is closer it will take less power to move it and hopefully run a little quieter.

The base of the figure needs to be trimmed if it catches on a corner.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,033 Posts
T Man, what does the pulley with the string on it do?

·
Registered
327 Posts
The gap between the metal plate and the coil is adjustable. I bent it closer on one old model and it ran quieter but the speed of the chase slows down. If the gap is closer it will take less power to move it and hopefully run a little quieter.

The base of the figure needs to be trimmed if it catches on a corner.
The manual says to use a 10" cord and to adjust it so the spring tension is equivalent to a stretch of 13/16" long. Is that a good real world spec to follow?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
I have replaced a few strings and I didn't have to measure the stretch.

Ed. The vibrator pulls the string on the left and turns the wheel. The tension increases and friction is lost and the string is pulled back. The friction returns and the wheel turns. The string does loose it's grip over time. The ten inches is enough to circle the wheel all around. It just won't work otherwise.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts