Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found 12lb bags of cat litter at dollar tree for, you guessed it....a dollar. Great dirt color and after sifting was perfect for a gravel lot and gravel roads. The larger pieces that didn't sift through are perfect for ballast

·
Registered
5 Posts
I found 12lb bags of cat litter at dollar tree for, you guessed it....a dollar. Great dirt color and after sifting was perfect for a gravel lot and gravel roads. The larger pieces that didn't sift through are perfect for ballast
May I ask what you used to sift and which scale is your layout?

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
I personally would never use cat litter. For one thing, I have 3 cats, and I wouldn't want to give them any ideas. I also don't care for the properties of the clays they use in the manufacture of it -- they darken and get mushy when exposed to moisture, especially if it's the clumping litter. And I don't like the deodorizing compounds.

But that's just my opinion. If it works for you, I'm glad you found a bargain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its non clumping and its cheap crap from dollar tree so it doesn't do what cat litter is supposed to do 😂 which is why I use it. I'm with you on the actual functioning cat litter, it would be bad news.
I apply it by painting on a thick layer of paint glue mix then sifting it on top of that. I then saturate it with cheap dollar tree hairspray, turns it into hard gravel surface.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thats after soaking with hairspray. Turns solid..

I do the exact same method with sifted quikrete to make industrial gravel lots.

Both make a great budget base to build off of. Main thing is to saturate with hairspray.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thats after soaking with hairspray. Turns solid..

I do the exact same method with sifted quikrete to make industrial gravel lots.

Both make a great budget base to build off of. Main thing is to saturate with hairspray

1 - 11 of 11 Posts