Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this 977 action caboose last year and am just now able to tell you guys how careless I was. I wanted a nice 977 caboose.
I was patient and found the one I wanted. When I unpacked it
I was so impressed with it. Very close to perfect. Someone really
kept it nice for over 60 years. I ruined it in 2 hours. It was very
clean, no rust on chassis, no scratches, no rubs, just very nice.
The brass wheels were a little discolored and 2 hours after I unpacked it I decided to use alcohol to see if wheels would look nicer. I usually use alcohol and Qtips. This time I used alcohol and a paper towel. Well you know how alcohol spreads on a paper towel. Somehow I got alcohol on one of my finger tip. The finger I was using to hold the caboose. Alcohol eats AF Tuscan paint so quick you would not believe. I now have a black finger tip on my nice caboose. I was sick. I also know where those black AF caboose come from I see on ebay. They
are Tuscan with an alcohol wash. I have come up with 3 things to do with the black finger print.

1. leave it alone
2. put an AF decal over it
3. paint the panel where its at. It is contained to one side panel.
It will never match.

Here are some pics

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG

·
Registered
5,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I saw that flyernut uses these small brass wire wheels to clean and shine his wheels. They go in a Dremel drill. I got 16 of these
for 12 something with free shipping. So price is very reasonable.
Wish I had used these on my caboose.

IMG_0594.JPG

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I had no idea alcohol would do that! Fortunately I have no alcohol anywhere in the train room, except for the occasional wine or whisky. I have not had any issues with either Goo Gone or contact cleaners. Water can be nasty such as on Talking Stations. It will quickly remove the ink used for the red highlights around the windows and doors.
That 977 would grade at either an 8 or a 9 and it has the rubber man. Very hard to find. It will make a nice shelf display item. I would leave it as it is and look for another one.
The way I clean wheel sets is to put several sections of track on a table or the floor, place a length of paper towels over the track, soak them with contact cleaner and run the cars back and forth over them by hand. Only the wheels get damp, it works in about 20 seconds per car and all the wheels, plastic or metal, are completely cleaned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to hear that! With a little mixing though I would think you could match the color close though. Perhaps you could then go with a slight 'weathered look'. Good luck on the matching.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts