Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I have to say is Darn it!!! I have had a lot of things going on lately, including a return to college to get my master's degree, so time spent on the model railroad has suffered. Then last night and today I really got in the groove, casting rocks using lightweight hydrocal, gluing them to the layout, filling in the cracks with plaster and painting. When I finally finished with that I started with the ground cover and low and behold I ran out of one of the colors that I was using. I was really in the groove and I wanted to get all the ground cover complete. Oh well guess I'll have to wait until next week.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Then last night and today I really got in the groove, casting rocks using lightweight hydrocal, gluing them to the layout, filling in the cracks with plaster and painting. When I finally finished with that I started with the ground cover and low and behold I ran out of one of the colors that I was using.
looking really good.

but one evening?
hydrocal cures for at least 2 hours, then ~ 2 more till the glue sets. then till the plaster cures... then drying time for each paint layer. what is your secret of bending the time and space?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts
Nice.:thumbsup:

Is the area where the river goes going to be a big lake?

The area that's not done yet.

Sort of looks like there's gold in them hills.:D

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
BMan,

Nice river feature ... I really like the "ravine" look/shape that you've made there.

Pretty bold of you to set up your trains while the ground cover is still going down. When I built my little HO layout, I wasn't that adventurous. I waited until ground cover was done before I put the trains on the track ... much to my kids' dismay!

Nice layout work ... thank for sharing,

TJ

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
No, No, :) sorry after reading that again it kinda did sound like I did everything in two days, definitely not the case. I have been working on the rocks slowly for about a month now. It's just that I hardly spent any time on it lately. Then on Thursday night I really got motivated, in the zone if you will. Yeah it all takes time, quite a bit of it. I guess I left out the details for the sake of the story.

big ed, yes I plan on putting a lake in that area, I'm kinda hesitant to do the water thing. The last time I did that on my old layout it didn't turn out that great.

tj, yeah I was kinda worried about doing all the landscaping and running the locos at the same time. My son, and my own playful ambition won out. I try to be careful and clean up really good after I'm done landscaping a section and before I run the engines. It's taking me a lot longer this way, but It makes my son, and me, happier.

·
Registered
725 Posts
bman,

Running out of supplies sucks, especially when you've got the "itch", and your on a roll:laugh:

Nice layout!! Keep us posted:thumbsup:

Cheers, Ian

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Great Layout!

Hey Bman,
Great looking layout. How far are you from your LHS? Yeah running out of supplies is a drag especially if your miles away from your major supply depot. Super detail on that Ravine area and river also. Keep up the good work!:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts