Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if there is a replacement gear set for the bachmann doodlebugs available from anywhere? Mine lost a drive gear and would rather not have to install a stanton drive from nwsl due to the drive costing double what the thing cost me new. It would be a fantastic upgrade but it’s not really feasible as far as an investment goes. I did look on nwsl website and they have replacement wheel sets for $50 but that still seems expensive since that’s what it cost me

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
You can't look at a model railroad from the standpoint of an investment. You will almost never get back what you've spent if you ever consider trying to cash in and get out of the hobby.

If you have the cash and can afford it, spend the money and get it running if you like it that much. If you don't want to spend the cash, park it and use it as either a display or on an unused dead siding as part of a scene.

·
Premium Member
10,268 Posts
Or, buy ones that are more reliable and have better technology in the first place.....sure, you’ll spend more up front, but you won’t have to mess about, trying to hunt for expensive parts just to get it running again, if you ever can.....if I remember those Athearns, they weren’t any screaming heck even back when they came out.....

·
Registered
10,727 Posts
It's kind of a binary solution set here: either you pay what it costs to replace it what you have with quality parts, or you relegate it to display only. Cheap locomotives are cheap for a reason: they contain lower quality (hence cheaper to make) parts.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
It is quite a lot for the HO Euro locomotives for my railroad. Usually twice or more for a comparable US model from BLI or Rapido, but I suck it up because I knew this going in building a Euro railroad. Locomotives and rolling stock were going to be almost astronomical compared to US equipment.

German and Austrian made are among the best in the world but they are damn expensive for the top if the line with sound. Average cost is $350 to $450 each, and that is for electric locomotives. Add $100+ for steam, and knock of $50 for diesel, but I don't regret any of my purchases, not even the A.C.M.E. (Italian) that has given me driveshaft problems in the past (now fixed). They are all excellent runners. Extrenely quiet with sound off, very smooth, and most decoders are a cinch to program.

Buy once, cry once.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I shouldn’t have called it an investment but I guess it’s not being very money smart. Like putting a $4000 engine in a 1990 Chevy Corsica that’s worth about $500

·
Registered
732 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I contacted bachmann and they don’t seem to have them. Looks like I’ll be ordering them from nwsl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts