Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up a dozen of the mini DPDT switches (6 connection) for tortise switch machine control. Putting together my led and switch panel and these dang switches are hard for me anyway to solder the wires...guess my old eyes and hands are not as steady as they used to be...lol...maybe I will get bigger switches...just thought I would rant before bed. Lol

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, you can pick up bigger switches with the same functions, if it's easier on your eyes ... probably a bigger hole in the fascia though ..
Yea I have some bigger ones..thinking about making a separate panel and then just hanging it on the fascia...

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
For turnout control you can use 20 gauge wire (solid) it will be easier to solder. I clamp the switch in a small vise then wire the 6 pins to a 6 pin connector (.1 crimps). the crimp pins like stranded wire better, but work with solid. https://www.pololu.com/category/70/crimp-connector-housings as an example but "Kits" are available on Banggood. Get a good crimper tool, eliminates a lot of soldering! Its also a better connection. Pololu has 2 crimp tools for use with these pins, get the more expensive one!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For turnout control you can use 20 gauge wire (solid) it will be easier to solder. I clamp the switch in a small vise then wire the 6 pins to a 6 pin connector (.1 crimps). the crimp pins like stranded wire better, but work with solid. https://www.pololu.com/category/70/crimp-connector-housings as an example but "Kits" are available on Banggood. Get a good crimper tool, eliminates a lot of soldering! Its also a better connection. Pololu has 2 crimp tools for use with these pins, get the more expensive one!
Thanks...great idea and info...going to surf that site and see what I can come up with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts