Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dept 56 Red Barn and would like to add a Gooseneck Wall Mount Light from Woodland Scenic

How does one drill into "Ceramic" without doing irreparable damage?

Thank you

Rdeal

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You need a carbide drill at a fairly high speed and a constant flow of water. Use minimal pressure.

Pete

·
Registered
293 Posts
I was able to talk my dentist out of a small round bit like he used on my teeth. Works very well, but, heed Norton's advise!!!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
It should be a carbide tipped masonry bit. And yes, lubricate with water. That's what I used to drill holes in ceramic tile.

You could probably also try a Dremel.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Thinking a bit more about this, if you use a 120 volt dremel I would submerse the building in a plastic bucket of water and wear rubber gloves to minimize shock hazard or use a battery powered drill. Safer than using it in a sink under running water.

Pete

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
That sounds crazy Pete. I don’t think I would do that. Thinking back on it, I may have used oil, not water as the lubricant. May have also used a punch to very lightly score the tile and keep the drill from walking. It's been quite few years. Recommend Enon49 watch a few videos on drilling a hole in ceramic tile.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Recomendations are based on grinding and drilling glass. If you need a centerpunch use a carbide scribe and scratch a hole. Using a punch or any impact tool you risk shattering the building.

Pete

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
But it's ceramic, not glass. Once you get through the surface, the going is easy. And yes, there is a risk using the punch, you need to be light on the hammer as I recall.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thank you

Thank you for the response

I think I am ready to give it a GO

Rdeal

1 - 10 of 10 Posts