Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally figured out how to take the drive motor apart on our Rock Island Line locomotive. Upon disassembly I discovered that the drive gear on the motor shaft is missing. Mind you, the loco was running fine and just stopped moving on it's tracks but the motor kept running. The little gear probably came apart. I have attached a photo of the motor housing and you can see the motor shaft to the right of the large drive gear. That is where the missing gear was at.

Now, my question is: can one purchase one of those little gears or if not, purchase the entire motor/truck assembly? I really want to get this loco running again as it is one of two that we are setting up as memorial trains for my wife's grandfather, who worked for that rail line in Topeka Kansas. Any help is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
How much time and money do you plan on spending to make this memorial happen?
In your other post, it looks like the handrails are missing, and along with the defective drive, you almost have a worthless (as of now) locomotive.

Do the drive wheels have traction tires in good condition?
If it is like mine, the tires are gone.
There is a listing on e-bay, you can see the traction tires on it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TYCO-HO-4301-ALCO-DIESEL-TRAIN-ENGINE-ROCK-ISLAND-RED-YELLOW-WHITE-TRACK-TESTED/352911546682?hash=item522b2ad93a:g:B9YAAOSwvW9eCBa8

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gear Missing

The traction tires look good and as I said before, the engine was running just fine, no noise or anything and it just stopped on the back side of the loop with the motor running. This makes me believe that little gear just gave out, probably went into pieces.

I am willing to spend a few bucks if I can find either another motor or the actual gear. The one in the link would run me $50 and I think I can find one of the two items for less money. I do have a hobby shop near me and they have all kinds of train stuff. I haven't checked with them yet but I might find a motor or gear there.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
A different Rock Island model Locomotive?

The traction tires look good and as I said before, the engine was running just fine, no noise or anything and it just stopped on the back side of the loop with the motor running. This makes me believe that little gear just gave out, probably went into pieces.

I am willing to spend a few bucks if I can find either another motor or the actual gear. The one in the link would run me $50 and I think I can find one of the two items for less money. I do have a hobby shop near me and they have all kinds of train stuff. I haven't checked with them yet but I might find a motor or gear there.
HOFAN;

Good luck with your parts search, I hope you find what you're looking for.

If you don't, you might consider the more expensive, but much easier, idea of just buying a decent, current-production locomotive lettered for the Rock Island RR.
The Tyco locomotive you have now is basically a cheap, poorly-made, toy. I get the impression that you don't have any sentimental attachment to this particular model, you just want a working Rock Island HO locomotive. If that's true then replacing rather than repair may be more practical.

good luck

Traction Fan

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gear Missing

Actually, there is some sentimental value there. My wife's grandfather worked for the Rock Island Line when he lived in Topeka Kansas, so that is why we are creating that particular line. My father retired from the Southern Railway in Birmingham Alabama. We are also creating a Southern line. My wife is a Coca-Cola collector so we have a Coca-Cola train from the Danbury Mint collection. All in all, we hope to have 4 trains running next Christmas.

·
Registered
8,361 Posts
But as Traction fan said, if you don't have any particular attachment to that lousy locomotive model, then buy a newer, better Rock Island Line locomotive.....you'll have spent better money on a new one that will likely perform much better for much longer....who knows what the next thing to fail will be on the old Tyco....

·
Registered
826 Posts
My opinion only, but some of the "old ones" just ain't worth the time, trouble, and money it costs to "fix" 'em...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts