Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the hobby shop to find MicroSol but couldn’t find any and walked out with Dullcote. Can I just put this over a decal to take away the decal sheen? What does the microsol get me?

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
The decal solvent softens the decal, and let’s it snuggle into nooks and crannies, and over rivets, etc.....I always give the decal 3 or 4 treatments of the solvent to make sure all the creases and bubbles are out.....after the decal is dry, then the Dullcote gets sprayed on.....

You won’t be happy to just spray the Dullcote over an untreated decal, believe me....

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The decal solvent softens the decal, and let’s it snuggle into nooks and crannies, and over rivets, etc.....I always give the decal 3 or 4 treatments of the solvent to make sure all the creases and bubbles are out.....after the decal is dry, then the Dullcote gets sprayed on.....

You won’t be happy to just spray the Dullcote over an untreated decal, believe me....
Ok thanks. I’ll have to mail order it. The Dullcote is paint on but I’m sure it is the same.

·
Premium Member
9,521 Posts
The paint-on Dullcote will give the same final result, but apply it sparingly, in very thin coats.....it has the attendancy to thicken too much....

·
Registered
51 Posts
After the decal is set using Walthers solvaset I spray a coat of gloss coat to help get rid of the ghost effect from the decal. Then a couple of coats of dull coat over the whole car. Everyone has different ways of doing it. You just have to find a combo that works for you.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Don't decal on an already flat finish. Decal on a gloss surface, allow the decals to dry a day, and then shoot the Dullcote.

·
Registered
10,336 Posts
With adequate application of a decal-setting solution, I've never had a problem with the "ghost effect", but as you say, everyone has to find their own technique.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts