Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all of you who have been helping with your inputs. I don't respond to them all but I do consider them seriously. I pulled the trigger last week on a DCC engine. It is an Athearn Genesis GP-7. I didn't buy it direct from Atheran because they have discontinued my prototype, Southern Railway. I got it from an e-bay seller still new in the box. I haven't track tested it yet because I'm still working on the layout. The seller didn't know if it had sound or not, so I'm nervous. The manual describes the sound system, but always with the disclaimer, "If you unit is sound equipped...." Is there any easy way to confirm the sound capability without taking the shell off? The model is delicate and I don't want to do that.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
There is no other way unless you put it on the track. If you have your DCC system already, you can hook up a short section of flex track and test it like that.

You could also run the part number on the box against the search feature at the Athearn site and see what comes up.

Nice looking locomotive.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have only DC for now. Manual says okay to run it on DC. So I did as you suggested. Runs very smooth and quiet. Problem is I can't get the track voltage up high enough to test sound. At 10-12 v it wants to leap out of the room.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The sound gets the first several volts running a decoder with sound. So, as soon as you dial up about 5.5 volts you should hear something. Near six volts the loco should begin to creep. Accordingly, you don’t have a sound-equipped decoder...apparently.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts