Model Train Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you're using the new Dwarvin fiber optic lighting system, I'd appreciate hearing how well it works and how satisfied you are with it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would be useful where a point of light will do the trick. I just find small LED's are more flexible for most static options. It is pretty expensive as mentioned, that would stop me.
Hi there. Actually the Lamplighter system of Dwarvin is not focused on providing a point of light -it is designed to illuminate areas. This is a very different kettle of fish. Each fiber that is inserted into the Lamplighter provides ~10 lumens at the end of the fiber, this is the same amount as from a 20mA LED. Take a look at the article I wrote on Directional Lighting on the web page - https://www.dwarvin.com/blogs/stories/directional-lighting-made-easy - this gives you some ideas on the benefits fiber optics provides over using LED's for prototypical lighting - something I did not appreciate a year ago! Let me know what you think. Michael

·
Admin
43,704 Posts
I'm not sure why you think you can't acheive similar effects with plain LED's. Here's an example of area lighting with a 5 cent warm white diffused roundtop LED and a piece of heatshink to block side scatter. I'm just holding it in place in my LED tester, I don't have time to create the full scene, but the lighting effect is pretty obviously there.

20191230_191245.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's a nice job - well done. Clearly you had to add to the LED to get it to look like this, as it is not native to the way an LED works. Thanks for the photo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts