Model Train Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is why iam not buying anything on e bay. There is a seller. Selling a 353 circus re paint it not hes said it was a 356 all he did is paint and put decal 353 cicus. It has plastic shell reverse unit is in tender he should not advertise it as a 353.

Done with e bay. Al

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Al, he should absolutely be clear the donor engine was not a 353 Circus engine. OTOH if he started with a 354 or 356 and the paint and decals are first rate then having what looks like a Circus engine but with smoke and choo choo is not the worst outcome. There are many buyers for that but not someone like yourself who wants an original.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He did state it was a 356 but paint doesnt look good if its a 356 then sell as a 356. People r starting buying flyer wont realise that. With you guys i have learned alot.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Al, I agree with you. Purchasers without a long time familiarity with Gilbert items can be victims, perhaps inadvertently. I think there are a number of train sellers on eBay who have little to no knowledge of what they are selling and there is no "qualifications test" a seller must pass to be able to sell on eBay. There are many small details and inconsistencies I spot in eBay pictures because I have been studying Gilbert stuff for more than 50 years. Even I miss things, especially if the pictures are not complete.

·
Registered
479 Posts
eBay is great, just have to watch out for things like this. You obviously know what to look for, why swear of the good deals because of one bad one?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eBay is great, just have to watch out for things like this. You obviously know what to look for, why swear of the good deals because of one bad one?

Not the first time last 6 weeks it been happing alot i have had good luck but latley its been bad.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Not the first time last 6 weeks it been happing alot i have had good luck but latley its been bad
This is not an issue with ebay...Let the buyer beware ...
Ihave but ebay should take some responsibility.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Study those pics. Know what you are looking for. If the pics are not clear and show what they should I pass. On the few times I got deceived I went back and looked at the pics. The defects were there I just missed them. Read what the seller says and what the seller doesn't say. Be an informed buyer and that will help. Read the guys feedback.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok i know sims lately people r not being to honest. Just tell like it is the 353 circus i bought guy was honest told me didnt no anything about trains saw pic new what i was buying

·
Registered
8,587 Posts
As has been said, it’s not eBay’s fault that some sellers are lying scumbags, or just plain ignorant about what they are selling......it’s up to the buyer to be wary, just like any purchase from any business.....

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes i do agree but lately it seems its getting worse even though you look at pics ive had good luck before .

·
Admin
44,359 Posts
You can always return the item if misrepresented, eBay is very buyer-centric. If there's a reasonable doubt, they almost always come down on the side of the buyer. However, I agree with the other replies that this is not an eBay issue. I've bought and sold a ton of stuff on eBay, and I get what I pay for or I return it.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know you guys are right. Just hit a bad spot i am just honest and i know you guys r i just expect everyone to be. Sorry but kinda gut pissed at people trying to make a fast buck i have had good luck but lately. No
Al

1 - 16 of 16 Posts