Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldn't leave well enough alone---I just won an engine-tender combo on ebay. S scale, American Flyer 307 engine. Seller stated "when put away many years ago when i swithched to HO this unit ran fantastic as a commuter loco on my layout----when testing it out now the E unit seems to be hung up----the loco is really in nice shape and has very little play ware..." I won't see it for another two weeks, but I want to start focusing on the E-unit issue. Does anyone have any thoughts to offer? I'm short on electrical-technical background and long on common sense and figuring out how things work by observing.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Start here with a manual and get a diagram for the engine. The search if a relacement e unit is sold . Then find out if drums and the finger contacts are sold.
It is easier to replace the whole thing. I suggest getting both parts and the unit. That way you can try a repair and already have one that works.
My AF's have finger couplers so I am not sure if the e unit is the same.

This part dealer may be better. Your parts here are out of stock. The 307 diagram.

You can always rewire to go just forward.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Start here with a manual and get a diagram for the engine. The search if a relacement e unit is sold . Then find out if drums and the finger contacts are sold.
It is easier to replace the whole thing. I suggest getting both parts and the unit. That way you can try a repair and already have one that works.
My AF's have finger couplers so I am not sure if the e unit is the same.

This part dealer may be better. Your parts here are out of stock. The 307 diagram.

You can always rewire to go just forward.
T-Man,
Thanks for the help and the advice. That gives me a lot more confidence, going forward. Now, all I have to do is wait 2 weeks for a very slow shipper to get it to me....grrrrrrr!

Thanks,
again.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Seeing that you are in Kentucky. Some local Lionel Dealers are big on ebay. They sell a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if they do AF too.
I suspect they break up pieces to sell. A practice I have mixed feelings about. I propbably bid against them on junk engines. I have seen too much consistency in the bidding. I only suspect. Current Ebay practice about hidden id's really turns me off.
What I am saying is that you could find a supplier that is local. I have a LHS that I support.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seeing that you are in Kentucky. Some local Lionel Dealers are big on ebay. They sell a lot. Wouldn't surprise me if they do AF too.
I suspect they break up pieces to sell. A practice I have mixed feelings about. I propbably bid against them on junk engines. I have seen too much consistency in the bidding. I only suspect. Current Ebay practice about hidden id's really turns me off.
What I am saying is that you could find a supplier that is local. I have a LHS that I support.
T-Man, that's a good suggestion. There are two stores here in town that I consider 'real' model railroading shops; a number of others only deal in the new stuff and don't get into S scale. The real model railroad stores carry a variety of scales, handle a lot of used equipment, and are knowledgeable about my stuff. I can't tell you how heartwarming it is to walk in and see two older guys sitting behind the counter, tell them I'm looking for a part for an AF 928, and have one of them say, "Oh, those...built between 1952 and 1958. Yeah, we've got some parts" right off the top of his head. I understand, too, about your reluctance to break up a 'junk' unit for parts instead of fixing it. They aren't made anymore...every time someone parts one out, it's lost forever and irreplaceable. I'm big on fixing and saving them for future railroaders.
Once I find out what's wrong with it, I'll talk to them and see what they can suggest. I emailed the seller for more info; all he had to say was he was a former AF dealer and ones he'd seen in the past with this problem just needed a good cleaning. I'm not overly bright, but even I can push a Q-tip. *L* Thanks for your help and advice!

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
I understand, too, about your reluctance to break up a 'junk' unit for parts instead of fixing it. They aren't made anymore...every time someone parts one out, it's lost forever and irreplaceable. I'm big on fixing and saving them for future railroaders.
Once I find out what's wrong with it, I'll talk to them and see what they can suggest. I emailed the seller for more info; all he had to say was he was a former AF dealer and ones he'd seen in the past with this problem just needed a good cleaning. I'm not overly bright, but even I can push a Q-tip. *L* Thanks for your help and advice!
I have very mixed feelings about breaking up a model for parts. I like to rebuild in HO scale. Unfortunately sometimes a loco is to far gone to be repaired. At that point I think the best thing to do is break it up and give another a new lease on life. I reuse all of the parts I can. I have two old Athern Budd cars with the rubber band drive. By using parts from one I could get the other going as it originally was designed. The other has been gutted. The motor replaces with a modern one and the shafts to drives the bands now replaced with sturdier units riding on bearings.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have very mixed feelings about breaking up a model for parts. I like to rebuild in HO scale. Unfortunately sometimes a loco is to far gone to be repaired. At that point I think the best thing to do is break it up and give another a new lease on life. I reuse all of the parts I can. I have two old Athern Budd cars with the rubber band drive. By using parts from one I could get the other going as it originally was designed. The other has been gutted. The motor replaces with a modern one and the shafts to drives the bands now replaced with sturdier units riding on bearings.
Tkruger----I understand. There's an emotional tie to the equipment that flows from the same well that makes you prick up your ears every time you hear a distant train whistle. A broken car or engine becomes an internal argument over whether to repair or recycle parts to repair another unit. As you said, some times they're just too far gone. I'd never judge another over that decision---it's a matter of love, of resources and skill, and the desire to make the right decision.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Managed to successfully rejuvinate my first e-unit, this evening! Tomorrow, I'll go to the LHS and get some replacement brush springs and a replacement lens. The new (for me) AF 307's oiled, greased, and almost ready to go. There was enough dust and lint inside that puppy to make a sweater!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts