Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone around here know much about e-units? When I ran my old Lionel for the first time in a couple years it was not good... The unit would sometimes take a few seconds of being powered off to "click" and switch directions in the cycle mode...

Also when in the cycle mode, if it was in neutral the motor seemed like it wanted to turn and was making an awfull hum/buzz noise and something started to smoke... If you lock it in neutral though there are no problems, it just sits there nice and quite...

Is the e-unit starting to go? Is it possible that is just needs re-wiring instead?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think I found out what the problem was... One of the wires coming from the e-unit corroded somehow, and as soon as I touched it the wire broke in half... Either that or it was a result of the smoke I saw, LOL... I will have to try putting a new wire in there and see what happens...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you said "E Unit" I thought you were talking about EMD E Units. :D

Can you post a picture of your smoked E Unit?
Here are two pictures, the first is of the e-unit I am having trouble with and the second is of another e-unit I have so you can see how it works... I am assuming that is why you wanted to see it?
:p

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts