Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know a tutorial or can tell me how to make a relalistic E-Z Track Bridge?

·
Registered
266 Posts
make you bridge model out of wood, paint it, then put e-z track thru it!

·
Registered
531 Posts
realistic bridge

Does anyone know a tutorial or can tell me how to make a relalistic E-Z Track Bridge?
You got a lot of good replies, but I'm going to choose to be a "NIT-PICKER":rolleyes::)
Almost all steel or wood bridges had an open deck frame work so if they ballasted the track across the bridge it needed a trough for the ballast to lay in otherwise the ballast falls through. Run a (1/16 square ?) piece of plastic or wood beside your ballasted track on each side to represent the side of the trough.:)
Concrete or stone bridges probably don't need that:)
I am currently building a large Deck truss for a fellow who wants to use Marklin C- track (ballasted) so I am doing the same thing on it.:)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I'm curious---why would anyone ballast a bridge? I realize some might do it on a model railroad for aesthetic purposes, but what other purpose could it serve?

·
Registered
531 Posts
bridge construction

I'm curious---why would anyone ballast a bridge? I realize some might do it on a model railroad for aesthetic purposes, but what other purpose could it serve?
Hi Reckers,

As best as I can figure out:confused: It seemed to help reduce the strain and other forces produced as the bridge was used. I suppose most of the earlier bridges didn't do it very often.:) If you look at some of the oldest trestles for instance, its seems like they would fall over as soon as a train crossed it!!!

Like 4 post trestles with no sway or side braces at all.:D

Cheers ...... Dave

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Dave, thanks for sharing that. I suppose the ballast could keep conventional ties from creeping out of place: I hadn't considered that factor. As for the old trestles, it's pretty amazing they didn't fall over---I doubt their builders had any inkling of what would eventually cross them.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,977 Posts
Dave, thanks for sharing that. I suppose the ballast could keep conventional ties from creeping out of place: I hadn't considered that factor. As for the old trestles, it's pretty amazing they didn't fall over---I doubt their builders had any inkling of what would eventually cross them.

But they do collapse sometimes.:D

Picture 04.jpg

lisbon.jpg

news01.jpg

There is reckers peeking out of the cab of his old crane.:D
06-05Bridge-CollaspeB-B1sm.jpg

·
Registered
531 Posts
YEAH!! Big Ed,

Quite often I think. And not just the railroad bridges. I don't remember where it was located but it was called Galloping Gerty I think!! A big suspension bridge.

Dave

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
YEAH!! Big Ed,

Quite often I think. And not just the railroad bridges. I don't remember where it was located but it was called Galloping Gerty I think!! A big suspension bridge.

Dave
Tacoma Narrows, WA ... circa 1940. Horrible design ... doomed from the start. They didn't consider wind-generated harmonic oscillation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts