Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have tried thinning Emers glue with a couple of drops of Dawn dishwashing liquid, but I cannot get this stuff thinned out enough to go through a pump sprayer without it clogging before even the first pump stroke.

I don't know what I used 30 years ago, but whatever it was it worked fine. Now I can't find a sprayer that will discharge this mixture.

I was at Chinamart today and found an adhesive I had never heard of before, E6000. And it was in a pump spray bottle.

I tried a few pumps in the store and was satisfied this would work.

And how. This mist it pumps out is so fine it looks like a cloud of smoke. It's also not overpowering so it blows the ballast or turf from the roadbed or sub-roadbed.

It immediately soaked right into the ballast with no surface tension at all. The mist is so light I couldn't even tell I had also sprayed it onto the grassy areas next to the tracks. No discoloration with the application.

It wasn't cheap at almost $9 a bottle, but I would have payed that much for the bottle alone just to have a decent sprayer for ballast and scenery glue.

I'm thoroughly impressed with this stuff. I wish I had known about it a year ago.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I use an old bottle with a small tip, just let it dribble out ... I also use -mostly- sand for ballast, it's a bit heavier, so it doesn't move around much at all ..

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is a lot nicer and faster than letting it dribble out of a bottle tip.

If you are still working on scenery, I would definitely give this stuff a try.

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
I -think- I've finished the scenery about six years ago now ... I used DAP alex tube glue [ thinned with alcohol, and a bit of soap] in the squeeze bottle, hoping that the little bit of give would allow reduced noise levels , but didn't make a 'check strip' to test this .. but it is fairly quiet ...
Quiet enough that the increased noise from an old Heisler is noticeable, lol, most [but not all] locos are geared steam jobs .. shays long and short, heislers, climaxes, and a couple of 0-6-0, and 4-4-0 s .. no diesels at all in 1890, although there are some new ones in the display cabinet ..

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I've had good luck using an old tacky glue bottle to dribble diluted matte medium, but that technique is a lot of working you have a large area to cover.

I may try some of this stuff. Thanks for the tip.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts