Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

I have an early Lionel 313 prewar gray bascule bridge.
My question is what is the base and deck made of? Is it bakelite?
Its all intact but in need of a good cleaning/restoration.

Before I go to the trouble of dismantling it, I want to make sure I am able to clean off the discoloration (if that's possible). If so, I need to know what I can use to clean it.

Thank you!

Rudy

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Hi Rudy, you still working on the 313? :D
Remember this thread?
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=33450

Tell me in the thread (in the above link I posted)all your pictures in all the posts can't be opened. Can't see them?
What happened to them, did you delete them?

I ran down and looked at mine I do think it is Bakelite. Not 100% sure but it seems that way.
The base for the track that is.
The base for the motor/house looks to be cast?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good afternoon,

Big Ed, I believe the images you are referring to, are from an older post from a different Bascule bridge I refurbished a couple of years ago.

The new project is a different bridge and one I believe to be older.

I think this one is older because the other bridge deck was a deeper green color and only required mild cleaning other than having to remove and strip the rails.

Although the base under the house was rough and required stripping and a repaint and it was die cast.

Question:
The two numbers after the 313 (313-50) molded into the base, does that identify the year it was made?
If so, then this would be a postwar bridge even though the metal bridge itself is gray not silver in color like a postwar and the bridge deck and base appear and feel different, other than die cast.

The bridge I'm looking to clean/refurbish now appears to be different. Refer to the attached images of the bridge I'm looking at cleaning now.

I have not tried to power it up as I do not want to fry anything. It does not appear to have been powered up for quite sometime.
I bought it last fall from a gentleman in his 70s at a train show in Michigan. It was among a few pieces left from of his childhood layout.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Rudy

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Good question, I have only seen a 313-46 and the 313-50.
I think it is just a part number for the base not a year?
The 313-46 is the prewar part number and the 313-50 is the post war part number?

The Pre-war bridge was raised by gears, the post war had springs.

A link,
https://www.tandem-associates.com/lionel/lionel_trains_313_acc.htm

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok.

Well, I still need to know if the base and rail deck is bakelite and how I go about cleaning it.
Can bakelite be painted? If so, how do I go about preparing the surface to paint?

Thanks.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re:

Thank you for the paint removal thread on bakelite.

So does anyone know for sure if these bakelite prewar parts on the bridge were in fact painted or a molded in color?

Has anyone ever had this bridge with the bakelite parts in the condition I am looking at and or has stripped/painted the bakelite?

I've attached photos of the previous bridge I refurbished and I still do not know if the bridge deck was bakelite or not.
Only the support base for the bridge and engine house were cast which I stripped and repainted and the reason for the difference in color.

Thanks.

Rudy

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Grease/lubricant recommendation for 313 prewar bascule bridge

Greetings!

I finally started on my second bascule bridge.
It's all torn apart. I have the gear box opened and cleaned out and wanted to know what would be the best grease/lubricant to reapply to the gears.

Thanks!

Rudy

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,404 Posts
Greetings!

I finally started on my second bascule bridge.
It's all torn apart. I have the gear box opened and cleaned out and wanted to know what would be the best grease/lubricant to reapply to the gears.

Thanks!

Rudy
Lionel made a lube for it, 925. But this lube turns to cement over time. It takes years but it turns hard.
I like the red tacky lube, don't know if it is the right stuff, but I don't see it hurting anything.
Keep the lube off the commutator and brushes.

I don't know if you ever saw this, might be of help to you one day.
https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/fileSendAction/fcType/0/fcOid/75340558672428422/filePointer/75340558675573524/fodoid/75340558675573520/313 Bascule Bridge by Luppold.pdf

·
Moderator Torpedo Emeritus
3,016 Posts
Joe, Excellent job with the #2 bridge. Looks like new, and well worth the effort to bring it back to life! :appl::appl:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts