Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or no deal?

Older Premier set for $270 that looks good but has no sounds. Is this a big deal or deal breaker? I don't care about smoke, but wouldn't mind start up and operational train sounds, has horn.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I don't know too much about Protosounds but it may only require a reset to restore full sounds and smoke.

Pete

·
Admin
43,685 Posts
Way too expensive, this is a very early 1995 Premier with no smoke and just a horn board. It has a basic QSI reverse board and a broken horn board. If I was enamored with that road name, I might pay up to $150 for it for an upgrade candidate, but there's no way I'd pay more than that! Look around, I've purchased nice MTH PS/2 and PS/3 locomotives for as little as $125/ea, and they ran perfectly with all features!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John. I'll pass on this one since you point out it's age. I'm not good at determining age except by catalog number and I don't have quick references for those. 1995 is too old for me. I am seeing a lot of older stuff on ebay, some is easier to pick out than others.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
MTH Premier engines from the '90s were pretty much all very well made. Detail and mechanics better than their Lionel counter parts. They are excellant candidates for command upgrades. Discount the asking price accordingly.

Pete

·
Admin
43,685 Posts
I agree Pete, my primary point was the $270 (+ shipping) is way too much for this set. I look for Premier PS/1 steam for upgrades, I've scored a couple for around $150. Since all I need is a working motor and smoke unit, I'll even take non-running models. :)

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I agree the price was too high. Just saying age should not determine if an item is worth considering. Just know what the capabilities are and what it will require to bring it into the modern age. You could argue a lot of 1990s MTH steam has a better platform than most Lionel steam made in the last 8 years or so. Big Pittman motors in engines that Lionel ia putting Canons or even Mabuchis in plus smoke units that are way less tempermental.

Pete

1 - 8 of 8 Posts