Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think it’s important to recognize people who offer good products, great prices and superb customer service which includes great shipping times. I have used eBay for years (20 to be exact). I began using eBay right after eBay launched their site for the first time. I have not only sold a lot via eBay and still do but I have made roughly 2500 purchases.

Good customer service use to be plentiful with business big and small. However unfortunately times have changed and that good service motto seems to have taken the back seat in many cases.

I am not one to plug someone’s business very often but as a group here on the forum I think it’s a good thing to encourage users to do and this applies to good and bad service.

I want to give a eBay seller a special thanks for being a nice guy and understanding that good service is still very important to consumers. The sellers name is “cresentstation” and the man behind the eBay business is Tom. I have made several purchases from Tom (maybe 30 - 40 items) and he honestly is one of the best sellers I have ever dealt with. I am buying 6 more items from him as we speak.

If you been around eBay for years like I have. I have seen and heard it all. One seller for example I had spent about $700.00 in 3-4 days with him and made many other purchases prior. We had became cordial if you will. I was looking at yet another purchase and simply said “hey you have a item that has been listed for a while. Would you entertain knocking off about $5 or $10 bucks for me if I bought it?” The item was $80.00 and it was literally 1 item. This seller not only declined any type of discount but blocked me!? I was shocked that I had spent so much money with this guy, very cordial, left him great feedback for every single purchase to get blocked for a little discount question!? These are the type sellers I can not wrap my brain around. Greed is such a terrible thing. I am a seller on eBay too and a Powerseller at that. I have given many discounts to customers who are buying several items. I have never thought twice about it. It’s very sad that sellers would rather lose a good paying customer over $5 than keep this customer happy a making many more purchases down the road.

Honestly I think a category for honest reviews for Ebay sellers and/or hobby shop on and offline is a good idea for the forum. I am a member for another forum that is a Camaro owners forum. They have always had the category I am referring to and I have found it very useful on many occasions. I want to know where the best places to go are for hobby related items. I also want to know where the places are that I need to use caution.

You would be absolutely amazed at how having this type category changes sellers of all kinds behavior. I have seen it time and time again that companies will go the extra mile to make things right to keep their names good on forums. Millions of people are members or browsers of forums regarding things that interest them. I have seen companies that are great companies with steady sales become popular over night because of customers praising them on forums. The sellers are very appreciative to the forum, becoming members themselves. Announcing sales, special forum member discounts. They become sponsors of the forum. They respond to reviews good and bad to simply say thank you or make the wrong a right.

Again I think it’s a great idea for this forum to give it some new life. I would visit the forum first when I had my Camaro and look for the good sales running and who has great reviews regarding service etc. it became a great tool. It definitely generates more traffic for the forum.

I am just speaking from experience. I am just a a guy who did terrible in school, chased females and partied. I then grew up and took many business risks. My last business risk was a company on its knees which I purchased it. I restructured the entire 40 year old company. They had a terrible reputation in its later years. I changed everything and in 5 short years a competitor made me a offer I couldn’t refuse. I walked with 8 times what I paid for the company, over a million dollars in inventory and could have retired at age 42. I tried being retired laying by the pool or hopping in the hot tub, being a dad and husband... ehhh I couldn’t handle not being busy. I now run another business in global sales from that million + inventory. I met my 5 year non-compete contract. I am still my own boss and stay decently busy but noooo I just have to be busier I guess.. so I am running for public office in 20/20 so we will see how that goes. BUT! Anyway.. it’s just a suggestion for the forum and nothing else... besides what do I know? :eek:hwell::eek:hwell::)

The current vender thread is pretty much nonexistent. That can change real quick and could breath new life into the forum. I have no idea who owns this forum or who is who when it comes to making changes. A list of these people would be helpful on here as well. You never know what ones idea can do for anything regarding suggested improvements or simply suggested changes with all good intentions. If a user has no idea who to approach to open up a dialogue then it’s pretty much impossible to communicate with said people. How open minded are the shot callers? Do they welcome fresh ideas? Do they want to see the forum grow? I personally have no idea. I think the forum has a good thing going but time brings change so being open to new ideas wether it’s to generate more revenue for the site, grow membership, bring on involved sponsors as vendors making it the “go to site” for the hobby? I do not know. I do know who those folks are on the Camaro owners forum I once was very active at. We spoke often and by doing so I watched that site grow tremendously. I traded my Camaro for a Mercedes so unfortunately I do not use that forum any more but I still like Camaro’s so who knows what the future holds.

So yes check out cresentstation and add him to your favorite sellers so you can check back from time to time. Currently his inventory is a bit small but it does change based on restocking. So I started this thread to plug cresentstation and ended up not only plugging Tom but myself as well. :laugh::laugh: It wasn’t the original plan but it ended up in there. I plug me so yeah I am a good guy who will never claim to be the brightest bulb in the chandelier but am far from the dull one. :appl:

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,516 Posts
I think that somewhere there is one here......somewhere?
I will go and look.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,516 Posts
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=3780&highlight=bay+reviews

Ha Ha Ha I started one back in 2010. :)
It didn't really take off.

Read my one bad experience like you had.
Took a long time to ship and read what feedback I left. It was positive.
He banned me from buying, I am still blocked.
The fool, I did spent a lot money prior to being blocked and would have spent more! His loss the ***. :smokin:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=3780&highlight=bay+reviews

Ha Ha Ha I started one back in 2010. :)
It didn't really take off.

Read my one bad experience like you had.
Took a long time to ship and read what feedback I left. It was positive.
He banned me from buying, I am still blocked.
The fool, I did spent a lot money prior to being blocked and would have spent more! His loss the ***. :smokin:
Yes Ed this exactly what I am talking about! I had never seen this review and would have liked to have seen it being a huge buyer on eBay.

We need a separate category just for seller reviews. They are extremely useful and a must on forums these days.

Can we not get a category just for this purpose? The forum needs a overhaul and could truly be the best train forum on the internet. I am dead serious that the opportunity is there.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,516 Posts
I don't know as it would be kind of hearsay?
You have to run this by John.

Traincity is still selling, they have another name selling too.

Maybe I was just the unlucky one?
But no replies to anything I sent them?
Took too long to ship, and looked like a 2 year old packed it !

Maybe they have changed now?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,516 Posts
Traincity, still the same.:rolleyes:

Neutral feedback rating Never got item,today 9/16/19,paid 8/29/19,live in NJ,item ship&reship to Ct,why? Buyer: m***o ( 2205Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999) During past 6 months Feedback conversation

AMERICAN FLYER 'S' 769A REVOLVING AIRCRAFT BEACON (#372744640526) US $16.50 View Item
Detailed item information is not available for the following items because the Feedback is over 90 days old.
Neutral feedback rating no manual w/locomotive Buyer: a***b ( 312Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past 6 months Feedback conversation

MARKLIN 'HO' 3106 BR 78 355 LOCOMOTIVE (#372692211664) US $62.00
Neutral feedback rating ine came with loose motor truck and wire not solderede on e unit Buyer: t***t ( 239Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past 6 months Feedback conversation

LIONEL 'O' 2032 ERIE TWIN DIESEL AA (#392319910979) US $86.00
Neutral feedback rating Poor communication and slow delivery but product is good Buyer: h***a ( 1037Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999) During past year Feedback conversation

WALTHERS O/O27 PALACE THEATER MODEL TRAIN LAYOUT BUILDING (#392279135464) US $48.00
Neutral feedback rating Items arrived filthy and not fit for use. Many damaged items hidden in pictures Buyer: p***p ( 568Purple star icon for feedback score in between 500 to 999) During past year Feedback conversation

BACHMANN 'O' PLASTICVILLE MODEL TRAIN LAYOUT BUILDING KIT LOT (5 INCLUDED) (UJ2) (#392196975088) US $23.73

Feedback From When
Negative feedback rating seller wont return messages just ignores ive done alot of business with them:( Buyer: e***t ( 126Teal star icon for feedback score in between 100 to 499) During past 6 months Feedback conversation
LIONEL 'O' PRE-WAR 204 ENGINE W/2666W TENDER (#392344760842) US $29.00 View Item

Negative feedback rating you didn't send the 6557 caboose cheaters..... Buyer: a***r ( 1051Red star icon for feedback score in between 1,000 to 4,999) During past year Feedback conversation
LIONEL 'O' POST-WAR 3454, 6014, 6014, 6014, 6362-55 & 6557 ROLLING STOCK LOT (#392245203265) US $109.01
Negative feedback rating Seller rated excellent plus which means no missing parts. Parts were missing. Buyer: r***0 ( 79Blue star icon for feedback score in between 50 to 99) During past year Feedback conversation
LIONEL 'O' POST-WAR 1520W TEXAS SPECIAL PASSENGER SET (#372495019645) US $833.33

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't know as it would be kind of hearsay?
You have to run this by John.

Triancity is still selling, they have another name selling too.

Maybe I was just the unlucky one?
But no replies to anything I sent them?
Took too long to ship, and looked like a 2 year old packed it !

Maybe they have changed now?
Ed but for that matter any and all reviews left by consumers on Amazon, eBay, Bestbuy, Lowe’s and any website that allows reviews which are tons are all “hearsay” right?

The idea doesn’t seem to be interesting on here it seems. I am not talking about you Ed because you are in dialogue with me but that’s it just me and you.

It has really got me to thinking about a few things... I been doing some research online since I posted my initial plug... I was seeing how well it was received and played out. So far not too good but I have to say sadly I am not very surprised. That’s when a light bulb went off (like in the cartoons Ed) that makes me say hmmmmm...... :rolleyes:

The Camaro forum is a huge success and I helped in making it a success. I implemented some changes, they were well received and off to the races it went. It’s still going strong and by far the number 1 forum for Camaro owners worldwide. But yeah hmmmm..... :D

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,516 Posts
I am surprised no one else said a word?

Guess some are bashful. :smokin:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have been really lucky, never had a horrible experience on ebay, some not so nice but nothing horrible.

I have been on ebay buying and selling for the last 20 years, mostly buying and just today broke 1000 100% positive feedback rating.

Mostly because I have been active the past month buying scads of model trains and related items and giving feedback on the seller for each one.

To get feedback I found you have to give feedback or most sellers will not return the favor.

If I have a problem it's with a parts seller in Virginia. Slow to ship and little to no communications with extremely long time to ship dates. But, I give them the benefit of the doubt, they must be busy I tell myself and eventually, weeks, I do get the stuff.

Contrasts with other sellers that ship the next day with a tracking number.

I find with some sellers that do not deal exclusively in model trains and have hundreds of various items for buy it now sales with no make an offer specified, if you contact them with a reasonable offer they will comply. I have saved a lot of money recently doing just that.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have been really lucky, never had a horrible experience on ebay, some not so nice but nothing horrible.

I have been on ebay buying and selling for the last 20 years, mostly buying and just today broke 1000 100% positive feedback rating.

Mostly because I have been active the past month buying scads of model trains and related items and giving feedback on the seller for each one.

To get feedback I found you have to give feedback or most sellers will not return the favor.

If I have a problem it's with a parts seller in Virginia. Slow to ship and little to no communications with extremely long time to ship dates. But, I give them the benefit of the doubt, they must be busy I tell myself and eventually, weeks, I do get the stuff.

Contrasts with other sellers that ship the next day with a tracking number.

I find with some sellers that do not deal exclusively in model trains and have hundreds of various items for buy it now sales with no make an offer specified, if you contact them with a reasonable offer they will comply. I have saved a lot of money recently doing just that.
Ditto you sound exactly like me with thousands of dollars spent over 20 years and counting my overall experience with sellers have been great.

However, and I want your opinions on this one. As we speak (ironically as it is) I purchased a set of NS hoppers from a seller on eBay. The listing said “item will be shipped USPS Priority Mail, $10.85 or some where along those lines. It made sense because I ship a lot of product to CA and use USPS Priority Mail daily. The fee is always $10 and some change.. so I made the purchase on November 9, 2019... I was going through my recent purchases and noticed that 9 days had passed with no product? Hmm... well I tracked it and it is saying I will have the item tomorrow which is 11 days...?

I went and made sure that the listing did read shipped via Priority and it did. However, the seller pulled a fast one and shipped the package via First Class Mail (cheapest method possible) so today we are on day 10...

I am very easy to get along with but this one rubbed me wrong.. I don’t like being jerked around or ripped off so I messaged the seller. I simply called him out on charging me for Priority Mail then choosing First Class Mail. Priority Mail under no circumstances takes 9 days much less 11 days per the tracking. I told him regardless I think I am owed a shipping credit because it’s just good business.

The seller responded saying that “yeah the shipping switched on me on about 10 packages and I didn’t realize it had switched but it costed me more to ship via First Class Mail. He apologized but was rather brief.

I messaged back and said “so the difference is about $3 - $4 when will I see that on my PayPal?” I told the guy that it really would have been a bit different if he had contacted me days ago explaining his error. Instead of me left waiting only to find 9 days in that the shipping I paid for had been changed to the cheapest shipping method.

This was last night and he has not replied which indicates to me that he is not forthcoming of his mistake, owning it and wanting to do right by the customer and work out a refund of some sort. Will $3 - $4 break me? Not at all but its at the stage of the principle of the matter.

What do you guys think? Am I wrong for expecting a small refund for the sellers error? Should I press on with attempting to obtain the credit? Negative feedback if the seller does nothing? I am easy to work with but the silent treatment does not make issues go away so what would you do?

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't know Mark, that's a tough call. The money isn't much, but 3-4$ is still three to four dollars.

I would be tempted to let it go, make a mental note not to buy from them again and mark them down to one or two shipping time stars on the feedback. That hurts them the most.

But, a few months ago I bought a model airplane engine from a customizer on the West Coast that sent it first class with the explanation that in his experience first class arrives as quickly as priority, and it did...with a tracking number too.

It's the people that sit on a sale for days before shipping that aggravate me.

Coincidently, I just bought this Rivarossi Heavy Pacific "General Washington" from a vendor two days ago and a couple of hundred miles away that charged me $8.60 for a priority mail flat rate box shipped and I just opened the package.

These boxes used to cost $7.50 to ship regardless of weight or distance a few years ago. I do not know what the PO charges today, but I thought his $8.60 a fair rate.

Attachments

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know Mark, that's a tough call. The money isn't much, but 3-4$ is still three to four dollars.

I would be tempted to let it go, make a mental note not to buy from them again and mark them down to one or two shipping time stars on the feedback. That hurts them the most.

But, a few months ago I bought a model airplane engine from a customizer on the West Coast that sent it first class with the explanation that in his experience first class arrives as quickly as priority, and it did...with a tracking number too.

It's the people that sit on a sale for days before shipping that aggravate me.

Coincidently, I just bought this Rivarossi Heavy Pacific "General Washington" from a vendor two days ago and a couple of hundred miles away that charged me $8.60 for a priority mail flat rate box shipped and I just opened the package.

These boxes used to cost $7.50 to ship regardless of weight or distance a few years ago. I do not know what the PO charges today, but I thought his $8.60 a fair rate.
Yes that is a fair rate and Priority did use to be a set fee and more simple. However that has changed so the weight now applies, size of the box and location it will be shipped. My average Priority Mail shipping is around $8 - $9.

Well, day 11 is here and now the tracking says the item is delayed so no delivery today. The seller responded with attitude and sarcasm to my simple questions. I looked a little closer after reading your response about sitting on shipments. I found that he sat on the package for 5 days before he even shipped it. My Priority guarantee of 2-3 business day delivery came and went before he even shipped it.

People are human, we make mistakes but now I feel he lied about the label “switching” services being he sat on it for 5 days. He was saying I paid $7.12 for shipping and he paid $10.86 to ship it and wasn’t asking me for that extra!? I posted the numbers to him that I indeed paid $10.86 for Priority Shipping and have no idea where the $7.12 figure he speaks of came from.

He has definitely created a very upset buyer at this point. His handling of the whole thing has been terrible. He says as little as possible and has in no way attempted to diffuse the situation or simple offer decent customer service.

This has by far been the worst experience I have had in years with a eBay seller. He has created this not me so what happens happens.

This came at a good time right when I was suggesting a thread for these very situations. I do not not want anyone else dealing with a seller like this. I want to be warned of shady sellers who have treated customers poorly. If it existed it may have very well avoided me from being in this now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts