Model Train Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Hey Tom, so you are saying I will need some 1/2 curves to make this work?
Going to ebay now to see if such thing exists.
Half straights were needed to make Gilberts 90 degree crossing work correctly.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Ok, there are some 1/2 curves on ebay. Crap, they cost more than a full curve. Nothing is easy. I guess I will need 4 of them. I am not cutting Fastrack.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
The math for this geometry is actually slightly tricky. With the 90 degree crossing nine curve sections are needed for each loop, making 270 degrees of curve track. For the 45 crossing there are two ways to use it in the track plan. The loops can be connected to the 45 side or the 135 deg side. If connected to the 45 side, 45 degrees less curve is needed. To get that two full curves are deleted, replaced with one half curve (15deg-60deg= -45deg). For amusement, carrying this to the extreme, as the crossing angle becomes less, approaching zero degrees, the length of the connected loop of track becomes longer, approaching infinity. Certainly an interesting layout design challenge.
If the 135deg side is used then an additional 45deg of curve track is needed in each loop. Therefor one more full and one half section is needed in each loop, theoretically. However as the loop gets wider straight track addition gets tricky. 270+45=315. Dividing 315deg by two in order to place the straight sections in the middle of the loop means two 7.5deg curves are needed, not a single half curve. No such thing as a premade quarter curve. That means the straight tracks will be on either side of the half curve which will be in the center of the loop. It will look and function great but I am not sure if it can be done without cutting some straights. Try it when you get the track and see if it works with just full and half straights.
I actually find layout design fun, and wiring them even more fun. I must not be normal. Should I describe how one can make a figure eight layout using two Gilbert turnouts back to back rather than a crossing?

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
What would be the degree. Doesn't sound like something you would want to speed through. Naw, I will stick
to a single crossing.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
I should get enough curves and straights in those add on sets to figure what I will need. I am hoping to be
able to add some straight track before curve. With layout 12 feet long and crossing in the middle I can't
come over crossing and immediately start the curve. Flex track would be a lot easier. Gargraves does not
make a 45 degree crossover only a 90 degree. They make an O scale 45 degree. I called them once and
asked why no 45 degree in S scale. They said no call for it.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
To answer your question, the pair of turnouts make a natural 30 deg crossing. Add a half curve to each turnout curve leg and it is a 45. Add one full curve to each and it is a 60. The real magic is in how the turnouts are controlled and wired. Using a single lever for both turnouts it functions as just a normal crossing. Control each turnout separately and there is either a simple crossing or two back to back reverse loops. Wiring the layout for the second case will be left as an exercise for the reader as one of my professors was fond of saying.
I agree GarGraves flex is the way to go, that is what I would do. I would not use the transition pieces, just cut off the connectors on the FasTrack and butt the ends of the Flex track up to it. Shim as necessary. Solder wire to the connectors under the crossing, put a 1/4" spade lug on the other end of the wires and push them up into the bottom of the GarGrave rails between two ties. That is how I wired up all of my GarGraves track in the past. Totally easy and very quick. Spray paint the crossing with one of those dark gray splatter paints and it will not stand out.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I learned something about searching for items on the Lionel website. Two days ago I commented that the short, odd size pieces of FasTrack were no longer listed on the website. These are necessary to avoid cutting FasTrack. It turns out they are still there. I was searching with the S gauge filter on. All the S gauge track was there except the three short pieces. Today I was searching for another item without the S gauge filter and there were the three pieces. It is a PITA because I had to wade through all the O, HO and large scale track.
The numbers are 6-47986, 47987 & 47988. Lengths are 4 1/2, 1 3/4 & 1 3/8 respectively. Lionel retail is $4.99 for each. With an assortment of these pretty much any track plan can be assembled in FasTrack with no cutting.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
That track is very rigid so it does have to be right. Close won't get it.

I got a nice Gilbert rerailer in the mail today. I think they are expensive.
Really need 2 more of them.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
A long time ago they were expensive, then they dropped in price. I bought a bunch of them NIB, both 3 and 5 digit boxes, for $20 each. Recently they seem to have gone up in price. I wonder if it is because people like me have been hoarding them? I hope you can find some, they make a big difference on the layout.

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Yes they do work. thought I had a couple but can not find. I paid 25.00 plus 5.00 shipping.
Not one of my good deals. I would think 10.00 each should be plenty. I need to check my
storage unit. I have a plywood board there with some track on it I used for the Christmas tree. Maybe a rerailer or two on it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I've never been able to buy a rerailer because of the price. I have never figured out why they are so much. Once again I have price limits. I will now go back to eBay and check current pricing. I agree with you mopac. $10 is plenty to pay. I know, good luck finding one for that amount.

Kenny

·
Registered
5,386 Posts
Right Kenny. Finding a rerailer for 10.00 is next to impossible. Maybe one broke in half.
I looked on ebay last night. I think there were only 2 for sale. That's part of the problem.
I remember flyernut saying he got one at a train show for 10.00.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts