Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
I'm a beginner and plan to build a HO ratio layout. There are some questions:
1. When using the loco running on the layout, will there ever be electric shock ( or short-circuit) and damage to decode board or motor?
2. What is the cause of electric shock (if any) ?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
I think if you ran your train through a pan of water you might get a shock.
Other than that, if you keep your electronics from damage, there will not be any problem with electric shock.
As for decoder damage; the simple plug and play decoders will present no problems of self damage. If you attempt to solder in your decoders you could damage something by making wrong connections. Stick to the 8 pin or 21 MTC connection type decoders and you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
The track voltage and the equipment that powers it are
UL approved for the protection of child age groups. A DC track would
have a maximum of 10 or 12 volts (about the same as your
vehicle) and a DCC track would have around 14 volts.
Neither of these are harmful.

DCC loco decoders are actually not all that sensitive
to electrical anomalies such as short circuits on the
track. And you will have short circuits...it comes with
the hobby. A derailed loco will almost always result
in a short, but, Importantly, the DCC controller would sense the
short and shut down. A short seldom affects the decoder.

However, the warrantees of the major DCC decoders such as
Digitrax and NCE would protect you from losses. You can
return a damaged decoder, even if you were the cause
and the decoder will be replaced at no charge.

Don

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As a beginner or inexperienced control, so maybe when loco running through the turn Y, N, X derailed due to not closing or opening properly. Does it harm a loco or controller?

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
As DonR noted in his post, anything that shorts the power to the track will cause the controller to shut down. Stuff like that is before voltage reaches the decoder.

·
Registered
8,680 Posts
As a beginner or inexperienced control, so maybe when loco running through the turn Y, N, X derailed due to not closing or opening properly. Does it harm a loco or controller?
There is no model layout in the world that has not experienced the derail of
a locomotive running thru a turnout set against it...OFTEN. The usual
result of such an accident is the derail of the loco and an electrical short circuit.
The layout power source likely has an automatic short circuit cut off so no
damage would result to either the loco, the decoder or the controller. However, the
operator, who let this happen, should be cautioned to 'watch his language'
if there are others of a tender aga in the room.

Don

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Hi All
I'm a beginner and plan to build a HO ratio layout. There are some questions:
1. When using the loco running on the layout, will there ever be electric shock ( or short-circuit) and damage to decode board or motor?
2. What is the cause of electric shock (if any) ?

Thanks

tungvt;

The other guys have answered your questions about electric shock, and hopefully put your concerns to rest. You, your locomotive, and your DCC equipment will be safe. The files attached below cover a wide range of model railroad subjects, including DC and DCC electrical control systems. I get the impression from the way your questions are written, that English is not your first language. That's OK, we have members from all over the world, and some have mild problems with English. No one here will criticise you for that. The files are written in English though, since that's my only language. I hope you will be able to get some useful information from them. Welcome to the forum!

Traction Fan 😊

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts