Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hopefully i can explain this right iam not the best at wiring. on my lay out i have been hooking up alot of accessories. iam getting aot of wires connectted to the bdase stud and 15v stud i i have 5 transformeries 2 small ones, 350 watt , 190 watt both are dualls and a 90 single i think. is there a way i ican have one wire from each post go into a not sure of the word for it. another connectoy then tie in all the wiries that belong in th base then middle post and the 15v. so i wont have all the wirers on the post studs. hopefully i explained well. AL thanks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Under the table, I use machine bolts and nuts under the table. I run a wire from the base post to the bolts and then attached accessories to the same bolt. I do this for the 16 post also.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
For temporary layouts I run one wire from each transformer post to a convenient point under the layout. I then pigtail splice the incoming wires to it and secure the splice with a standard wire nut.
For permanent layouts I recommend terminal strips or soldered splices. Here is an example of one of my barrier style terminal strips with removable jumpers used to tie terminals together horizontally. The metal jumpers are visible across the bottom.
The small capacitor in the upper right is used to put the high frequency Legacy signal on both rails of the two rail layout.

B256EA2A-C316-4AE1-BF55-8239475C9E72.jpeg

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok i asume the black is the base so run a wire from the base the those conectors and the tie in the acceries and the button for for talking station logger etc etc. Thanks

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Yes, in this picture Black is the Base Post wire. This is just one of MANY terminal strips under the layout. There are about 30 connections to the Black wire in total. This is a permanent layout, it would be way too much work for just a temporary setup.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you don't mind i'am going to pick your brain on how you did this i like how it is nice and neat and organized. Know the wire black from base post to terminal connector. Then when i hook up the bottons black wire and yellow conect does it batter on the order. The middle post on transformer leave that as is. Hope you dont mind me asking all these questions. I appreciate it.
Al

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
The terminal strip I photographed is all track power. The black wires are Base post. The complication is, I have a total of 8 power districts (transformers) so the white, red, orange, green and blue wires each connect to a 7V to 15V post on a different transformer. The Base Posts are all tied together. The Blue wire with White stripe feeds a Block Power controller that turns a section of the Blue Power District On and Off. It is complicated.
This layout will be with me for the rest of my life so I figured it was worth the time and expense to do it right. The tagging and color coding make trouble shooting a breeze.
All accessories are powered from one of seven dedicated power supplies, not from the track power supplies. That is primarily because the accessories need different voltages to function. I know I am not fully answering your questions, just keep asking what you want to know.

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Here is a picture of one of the 25 position Accessory terminal strips. These are called Euro blocks, I do not like them. It would have been better to use all barrier strips. The second picture is the color code chart and the loads supplied from each of the seven Accessory Power Supplies. As you can start to see, this is a lot of work.

786D8CB7-6CB8-42FA-893B-B67FC1AA2A3F.jpeg
88357A91-8BE3-4FAE-BD7E-4755E11985A6.png

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a pic of the ones you have the very first picture i did an example on my work bench with my 766 guilford station one wire on track base then opposite side of track then took another wire connected to base to connected to terminal strip then took wire from button to opposite side of terminal. Then yellow wire from button to 3rd post on trans former and it worked. The second terminal strip do i remove jumpers here is a pick

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Your terminal strips do not appear to have any jumpers across the barriers. As configured each terminal is one wire in, one wire out. The "U" shaped metal jumpers on mine electrically connect across the barrier to allow for more than one wire out. Mine are set up with the "U" strap for one wire in, three out. That was all we needed on the terminal strip in the picture. These terminal strips are also available with a long metal strap that connects all the terminals electrically, that would allow one wire in,17 out.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok if you look at the smaller one i do have jumpers going across so on the second one i dont so put a wire going across on top

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks amflyer did one trans forme the upper level track..i soldered the wires on track this time i used 18 gauge . then i used same wire to connect to transformer to strip connect.
Thanks Al

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well amflyer still wiring but it coming along like you said alot of work but it is worth it . i do about hour a night plus other things i do. Lots of wire's hanging. Lol
Al

1 - 20 of 22 Posts