Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm confused, doesn't take much. I see both called a engine. Is the EMD F7B engine ho or just the proto. I got the EMD F7, but I no nothing about B unit. I see that the unit is a lot more expensive then a box car.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
The F7 and F7B are both "first generation" 1500 HP diesel locomotives built by Electro-Motive Division (EMD) of General Motors.

The "B" in units like F7B originally stood for "booster" and this engine has no driving cab; it's designed to be used in a set of engines.

Apart from the lack of an operating cab, the F7B is mechanically the same as an F7 in every other way.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
You say "is the EMD F7B HO..." That depends on which one you're looking at -- a for sale listing should say what scale somewhere. Unless you're asking if they are AVAILABLE in HO, and the answer is yes, although I'm not sure anyone is making new models of one at the moment.

Thing is, as CV said, the B unit is intended to help pull a train while the engineer rides in the accompanying "A" unit. Unless the model you're looking at is a dummy, it is a real loco and will pull a train... but it will look funny doing so by itself.

In the picture below, the lower loco is the B unit:

91019941.3.PNG
(Image credit www.walthers.com)

·
Registered
671 Posts
Many EMD B units had hostler controls that allowed them to be moved around by themselves in a yard or engine facility.
The hostler either stuck his head out of one of the side portholes or the controls were mounted near a side door.
Some had an extra window cut in.

There was supposedly a coal mine in Virginia that used a modified B unit to shove coal gons around.

So a B unit moving cars around would indeed look strange but not be totally improbable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts