Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
Joined
·
24,031 Posts
That is some antique dust you have there, put it in a jar and sell it on eBay.
I have an old bottle of air from NYC on my shelf. Certified. :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: T-Man

·
Yard Master & Research
Joined
·
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Are ya' gonna' make a new pilot or buy it from Jeff :D
I looked at Jeff's site and found the 260E-45 MTH repro. Are you aware of anything else? I found that by going through his picture library.

This popped up
257-RPE7repair pilot 7/teeth epoxy on
 

·
Yard Master & Research
Joined
·
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The shell was cleaned up and primed around Xmas 2018. Here are some updated pictures.

540828


540829



540830


This gives you an idea of the condition of the wheels. They had numerous cracks around the center too.

540831


540832



The result.

540833
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,214 Posts
T-Man, IIRC you dunk the entire motor in carb cleaner to get it looking like new? And you have an imposed time limit? Refresh my memory.
 

·
Yard Master & Research
Joined
·
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The new gears have been a problem. They bind up. I have worked on the teeth and slowly gotten them to work 360. Now I have the motor running. Rewire is next. The shell is painted and ready for parts but the frame still needs the front part ordered.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,214 Posts
I looked at Jeff's site and found the 260E-45 MTH repro. Are you aware of anything else? I found that by going through his picture library.

This popped up
257-RPE7repair pilot 7/teeth epoxy on
Sorry, I missed this post earlier.

The MTH repro is the pilot I was recommending (posted that in your previous project where you made a pilot out of epoxy).

I did come across This eBay offer: The listing might Jeff's 257 pilot offered on eBay.- don't know.

541182
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,214 Posts
The new gears have been a problem. They bind up. I have worked on the teeth and slowly gotten them to work 360. Now I have the motor running. Rewire is next. The shell is painted and ready for parts but the frame still needs the front part ordered.
I have the same problem with the binding gears on a 248 - rough and locks upi every revolution.. The prior owner "restored" the loco but botched the wheel replacement. There's an obvious wobble in one of the geared wheels. Either he pressed the wheel on an angle or he bent the axle.
 

·
Yard Master & Research
Joined
·
10,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you want the details. I worked the gears with slip joint pliers. There was one point where it was bad. Back and forth with oil. I removed the armature that separated the axles. I did use sandpaper on the wheel gears. I also backed off the clearance to give it some play. I did find Jeff's front end. It would of been better to file the teeth a bit just to get some wear but the gear needs to be off to do it.

I moved on today, cleaning brass.

541196



541197



541198



541199


541200


And the some paint.

541201



541202
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top