Model Train Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Some teeth ended up broken on the old ones. The reason being this motor uses a 56 tooth gear and I had 54. No wonder the gears gave me such a problem.
Is it the original 258 motor? Olsen's doesn't list a 56 tooth intermediate gear for the 258.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Is it the original 258 motor? Olsen's doesn't list a 56 tooth intermediate gear for the 258.
OOOPS the 56 and 54 are drive gears. The intermediate is a 14/30 something?
I have the 56 fitted in. At this point I will say it works. The 54 did run but was tight. Eventually three teeth broke off the intermediate which is bakelite. I thought I counted the original at 54 must of screwed up. The 56 teeth are used. off another motor.

From the initial condition everything appeared to be original.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I finally got the Olsen zip file completed. I checked motors and the only motor close is the 248 double reduction. It was slightly modified to receive a gear plate and an extra square hole in the frame.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
I finally got the Olsen zip file completed. I checked motors and the only motor close is the 248 double reduction. It was slightly modified to receive a gear plate and an extra square hole in the frame.
You're right. I'm holding a 248 double reduction and it's an exact match w/ mentioned alterations. But I counted 72 teeth on the wheel gear; 42/16 on the fiber intermediate gear and 20 on the opinion. But this motor has gear problems from the original owners attempt to replace wheels. If I get motivated, I'll dig out perfectly working 248 double reduction from the attic.

Olsen's doesn't list a part number for the wheel gear ...

·
Yard Master & Research
10,893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Now I do not know what uses a 52 tooth gear?
Here is a comparison between 52 and 62.

The compound gear or intermediate gear is 16/44.

The quartering took a couple of tries. The axles are not staked or ribbed.

This is where the pilot truck goes.

One tool required that I did not have is very narrow file to work between the pilot teeth.
Something for the wish list next train show.

SO far.

·
Registered
2,991 Posts

One tool required that I did not have is very narrow file to work between the pilot teeth.
I believe the 52 tooth wheel gear is for the single reduction motor. As before, my 248 double reduction (super motor) uses a 20 tooth pinion, 16/44 intermediate and 62 tooth wheel gear.

Harbor Freight ...

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,566 Posts
Here is a comparison between 52 and 62.

View attachment 563163

The quartering took a couple of tries. The axles are not staked or ribbed.

This is where the pilot truck goes.

View attachment 563164

SO far.

View attachment 563165
Does Top Hat approve? :)
Do you have a tender for it?

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Here's my other HF go-to kit. Works wonders polishing small parts in a hand drill. The key to this kit is the included polishing compound. It's especially the copper detail parts. Not so good for nickel parts as the nickel is plated on copper and wears through quite quickly. I hit the side rods with a wire wheel to remove rust before the polishing.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts