Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here is a tuff one for ya'll. I'm having a devil of time getting the tender to cooperate with the engine #646 when backing up on a curve. The top of the engine makes contact with the top of the tender and that throws the tender off rail. almost seems that the solution is to somehow increase the distance between the two by some manipulation of the coupler. Any ideas? thaks
IMG_2067.jpg
IMG_2069.jpg
IMG_2070.jpg

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
The engine drawbar has two bends that shouldn't be there. The bend closest to the end should be at 90 degrees. The next two need to taken out so the drawbar is straight from its mounting point on the engine to the last bend and parallel to the track. That will move the engine away from the tender.
Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine drawbar has two bends that shouldn't be there. The bend closest to the end should be at 90 degrees. The next two need to taken out so the drawbar is straight from its mounting point on the engine to the last bend and parallel to the track. That will move the engine away from the tender.
Pete
ok, made adjustment to drawbar; train backs up fine on 6 of 7 curves; remaining curve issue is as it begins a climb; i'll see how i might be able to reduce elevation of the start of the incline which happens to be a curve;

thks
IMG_2074.jpg

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
You still have one more bend to straighten. The last bend should point straight down, not back. Get rid of the bend just above it.

Pete

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's a closer example photo to the one you're working with. It should be a simple "L" shaped piece as described above.

thanks guys...............; the backward bend was done to keep the tender attached to the engine; under certain incline/decline circumstances it would decouple; i'll see how i can be creative with it and eliminate both issues;

·
Registered
564 Posts
If you're the guy who made that bend in the first place, unbending it should be all you need to do. If you bought the tender 2nd hand, the previous owner did not run tight curves such as the ones we see in your pix, and those bends did, in fact, bring the tender closer to the engine, closing that gap for more realism, but on tight curves doesn't work. When your drawbar is the way it should look with just the one bend, it should not be a problem fore-or-backward.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i bent it in the first place; i was trying to solve an issue with the tender de-coupling on some inclines; i bent the drawbar back and i think i've sufficiently adjusted the incline to eliminate that issue----yet to be seen; however in the process i broke the retaining clip as i removed that rear assembly to better 'fix" the drawbar; having devil of time finding a suitable retainer so i used some wire in the meantime; always something

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
As far as de-coupling on inclines, if you ensure that the tender drawbar is level with the top edge of the locomotive drawbar you shouldn't have a problem. As you did, adjusting the incline at that point would probably be your only solution if the drawbars are as they should be.

I believe this is the part that you might be looking for?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as de-coupling on inclines, if you ensure that the tender drawbar is level with the top edge of the locomotive drawbar you shouldn't have a problem. As you did, adjusting the incline at that point would probably be your only solution if the drawbars are as they should be.

I believe this is the part that you might be looking for?

Thanks...thatz it all right!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts