Model Train Forum banner

Engine compatibility

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  stationmaster 
#1 ·
Newby here.

I've been running an older Model Power #6730 Santa Fe F3 locomotive, along with a matching dummy, for some time with my grandson and we have a good time. I found a few more cars at a local garage sale that fit with what I had so I added them. I decided that I'd like a little more power to pull everything so I bought a "B" unit, Model Power #840 A, off eBay. Now I have a problem for which I'm hoping someone can provide a solution or some insight.

1) When both engines are on the track but uncoupled, the F3 takes off and gets to a pretty good speed before the "B" engine starts moving.

2)Once the "B" engine starts moving, it will not run at the same speed as the F3.

3)When coupled together, the F3 strains just trying to pull the "B" engine alone.

I did notice that when I put the "B" engine on the track for the first time and ran it across a re-railer, there was a lot of resistance to rolling free as compared to my 6730 F3.

What can anyone tell me about the compatibility of these two? Any chance I receive "B" engine that left the manufacturer with some defects? With the "B" in the full train; nothing moves. Any information will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Ed in NE Kansas

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
SM,

Thanks for the reply. I'll give it a try. As a "newbie" I'm in the dark as to what kind of lubricant to use as well as where to apply it. More advise would be really appreciated.

Ed

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Station Master,

I took your advice. Took the body off the chassis, and then took the trucks apart. I lightly oiled the gears and the "bearing" surfaces. I put it all back together and gave it a trial run. It takes off the instant I put any juice to it. I set it and the 6730 180* apart from each other to see which would close ground on the other. Now the B unit is the faster of the two. Guess that means I better oil the A unit.:D Thanks again.

Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.