37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I'm looking at a
MTH 80-2011-1Chicago NorthWestern SD70ACe
Chicago NorthWestern SD70ACe Diesel Engine w/Proto-Sound® 3.0
Cab no. 1995
Works on a 18" radius. Measured my track radius the best I could, and
found the smallest to be 17 3/4". Question is, how forgiving are these engines when it comes in making these curves? The engine I'm running now is an E7 at about 7" in length and of course it runs the curves fine. The one I'm looking at is just over 10" in length. I'm also looking at the Zephyr DCC controller to operate this engine. Any thoughts on all the dribble I just threw all out at once?
Thanks railbirds.
Barry

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
17 3/4 may work. It will be close. The length of the locomotive is not the only thing that limits the turning radius of the train. I have an Athern Blue Box GP-30 that can take 15 degree turns. I have a much shorter Athern Blue Box SD1500 switcher. It requires an 18 degree turn, the trucks do not rotate as much. I have an AMH MF C liner that the rear truck can be turned close to 90 degrees, that locomotive can go around 12 degree turns and is the same length as the GP-30.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you got snap track? If so, then it is considered an 18" radius.

The 6 wheel trucks should still negotiate the curves, but the larger locomotives and longer cars look and work better on a larger radius.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks tkruger, I kind of thought truck swivel would have a lot to do with it, and who knows what engine trucks have what swivel degree unless they actually have owned that engine. I guess the next question is the degree of swivel the trucks on a MTH engine have. I guess, I buy, I run. Don't run, sell. Run's, keep.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have you got snap track? If so, then it is considered an 18" radius.

The 6 wheel trucks should still negotiate the curves, but the larger locomotives and longer cars look and work better on a larger radius.
Alcoman,
Nope running flextrack. Track and bed already laid unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts