Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks. I'm digging out storage stuff and found an old Seaboard Coast Line engine my folks gave me years ago. I'd love to restore it, i've picked back up into modeling and I think I can do a good job rebuilding abuse damage. Thing is, I can't find any manufacture's marks or serial numbers, product numbers or anything on this engine, inside or out. Can anyone help me out here?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum....just guessing from the photographs, but I believe you have an Athearn U-boat. By removing the shell, you should see a motor with 2 gray metal flywheels on it. Under the fuel tanks should be four holes for the motor mounts and the trucks should be metal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shaygetz said:
Welcome to the forum....just guessing from the photographs, but I believe you have an Athearn U-boat. By removing the shell, you should see a motor with 2 gray metal flywheels on it. Under the fuel tanks should be four holes for the motor mounts and the trucks should be metal.
Bam! you nailed it. I knew all I needed to do is get to the right folks. ARe they still in business? Thanks much.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
They should have all the parts you need, and probably at your local hobby shop to. Looks like you just need the detail kit (as a start) to get this thing going again.

Have you run it on a track? If not I would do some basic maintenance, clean out any dust or dirt and oil all moving parts, gears, with a light oil.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
tworail said:
They should have all the parts you need, and probably at your local hobby shop to. Looks like you just need the detail kit (as a start) to get this thing going again.

Have you run it on a track? If not I would do some basic maintenance, clean out any dust or dirt and oil all moving parts, gears, with a light oil.
I don't even have a track to run it on. Like I said, I just picked up modeling again, doing static stuff right now. Reminiscing and wanted to restore my old engines. I know the engine will not run. There was a spring connector that ran between the two trucks and connected to the motor supplying power to the motor. That is long gone. I may be able to rig up something but the original part would be very nice.

Some searches around I find that a Dummy engine is listed in catalogs but everywhere I look it's on backorder. Figured it would give me handrails and clear parts for the cab. Not sure about the motor mounts that need replacement.

Do you all have a show nuff source for parts?

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Glad I could help...I have a 9 volt battery with alligator clips that I use for testing when I don't have track handy. I make my own hand rails for Athearn as they are fairly easy to do. I just finished doing one for another modeler>>>

As for parts, there are many after market sources that make retro fit details for Athearn that you might want to look into. Ebay is another source though you'll pay a bit more for that. Many of their basic drive parts are interchangeable as well so you don't have a long trek ahead, just a nice learning experience. As for that spring clip, most experienced modelers chuck that and "hard wire" it up>>> http://members.aol.com/JFuhrtrain/fivewire.htm More tune up help can be found here>>> http://members.aol.com/JFuhrtrain/tuneup.htm

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Moonpuppy said:
(scrounging for a 9v) I figured the handrails would be scratch build if needed, what I was worry about were the uprite supports for the handrails. Thanks for the help all. I'll post follow up when i get around to doing this after Christmas. Current Project is this. http://swannysmodels.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1196036416
Looks very nice, Moon Puppy. What's the size on the truck? Kit built?

I have had my eye on some Tamiya 1/12 scale kits, in particular a Datsun 240z Rally Car. It's been a while since I have built any cars but it looks like a lot of fun.

Link to Ebay auction

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Jeep is 1/24th kit with Eduard details added, I was going to use it in a diorama with a 1/24th P51 but that kit turned out to be such a disaster after 15 years out of building I decided to use it to practice new techniques in paint and stuff that I was reading in the web.

this is my first sho nuff diorama I've ever done, one problem I really haven't found a solution for is the cut away view of the water in the creek. Got a couple of ideas running in my head but real world stuff hasn't given me time this week to try them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts