Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just picked up a 312 which is missing the two motor mounts. As you probably know these were the kind that, as I would call it, were peened into place. So my questions:

Do you think the mounting "plates" from some other scrap locos would work? The ones I may
try are from a 21160, are not quite as wide, but the business edge seems to land in the right place.

I was told "just drill a hole and use a S230B screw to mount them. (self tapping?). Any help here before I mess something up would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Oldfeller

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I'm not sure if the newer mounts will work. Instant glue them in place just so you can eyeball them, and then just pop them off without damage. Or use some tape to get a measurement. I would think self-tapping screws would work, or drill and tap them for a machine screw. Make sure you keep the height of the post as original as you might have some clearance problems with the top of the boiler shell. There are at least a 1/2 dozen nice shells on ebay right now also, if you wanted to go that route.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Fllyernut,
I did as you said, they seem to match up with the chassis. From 21160 to 312, we'll see.
I will try a self tapping screw first, if I can't get that to work I will try drilling a bit larger hole and tap it. All the types and sizes of screws are confusing, but I will drill and tap and I plan on using a 4-40 tap and screw
Will let you know.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Be careful and don't force the screw as those holes can split. A while back I picked one up only to find it split on one side. I doctored it up and got it working but it was touch and go. Good luck.

Larry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

It worked. I don't know what kind of metal these locos are made of but it was pretty soft.
I used a 3/32" bit for most of the depth. Since I was afraid I might go through the side of the boiler I bottomed out the hole with a 1/16" bit. Then used a #4 x 3/8 self tapping screw working it back and forth, and it tightened down just fine. Used a little oil drilling and with the screw. The chassis fit just great, (used 21160 mounts in this 312).
Thanks again for the encouragement and ideas.
Oldfeller

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Thanks guys,

It worked. I don't know what kind of metal these locos are made of but it was pretty soft.
I used a 3/32" bit for most of the depth. Since I was afraid I might go through the side of the boiler I bottomed out the hole with a 1/16" bit. Then used a #4 x 3/8 self tapping screw working it back and forth, and it tightened down just fine. Used a little oil drilling and with the screw. The chassis fit just great, (used 21160 mounts in this 312).
Oldfeller
Judging from the time of your post, you couldn't sleep until that thing was fixed,lol!!! Glad it all worked out for you. The metal is soft; I think it's part zinc and something else, not sure. In case of a bent part on the cab, you can also use a little heat from a plumbers torch to bend stuff back into shape.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Thanks guys,

Oldfeller
Excellent. Makes you feel good when you can save one. :)

Larry

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
312 motor mount fix pics

Ok, was asked for some pics of the 312 motor mount repair.
The screw shown was labeled self tapping....looks the same as
a #4 3/8 pan head that was black and more like what AF might
have used if these mounts had been screwed on originally. But these
worked and I don't want to keep messing around. "If it ain't broke don't
mess with it."

Oldfeller

PS Never posted pics here before ...I had to open each in a separate tab or I couldn't return to the posts....?

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts