Model Train Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engines here are some engines that I have the don’t run some on my like the run but I don’t know how to fix them Bumper Tool Wire Machine
Bumper Tool Wire Machine
Bumper Tool Wire Machine
Bumper Tool Wire Machine

Attachments

·
Registered
9,375 Posts
Many older locomotives can be brought back to life with
simple cleaning an lube replacement. Some, tho, require
a lot more work and replacement parts.

However, to be of any help we would need for you
to provide more information as to what the problem is.

Pictures of the 'body off' frame and trucks would be a good
start. If you know, tell us the make and model.

By the way, are these HO locos? Some seem to be
N scale. You would do well to post in the N forum any
N scale problems. Keep the HO problems right here.

Don

·
Registered
988 Posts
The Santa Fe c liner is no good without replacing parts the steam engine is missing parts too the Union Pacific engine looks to be an old life like so probably not really worth the effort due to them being poor runners but that Atlantic coast line engine may be something to tear into. The rock island looks like an athearn blue box shell to me

·
Registered
5,195 Posts
Three rail track?

Many older locomotives can be brought back to life with
simple cleaning an lube replacement. Some, tho, require
a lot more work and replacement parts.

However, to be of any help we would need for you
to provide more information as to what the problem is.

Pictures of the 'body off' frame and trucks would be a good
start. If you know, tell us the make and model.

By the way, are these HO locos? Some seem to be
N scale. You would do well to post in the N forum any
N scale problems. Keep the HO problems right here.

Don

Snowolf;

What brand of track is that loop in your photos? Is the black streak between the two rails a third rail? I've never seen track like that before.

Don;

Look at the loop of track in the background. Is that a third rail in the middle? It looks like either Kato Unitrack, or Bachmann EZ-Track, but both of those are two-rail DC (or DCC) not three-rail AC. Does Marklin, or some other company make three-rail roadbed track? I thought Marklin used those contact studs on the ties, not a third rail. Weird! :confused:

regards;

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
Yes, Märklin makes a roadbed AC track and that looks like what it is. I believe they call it 'C' track.

But, C track uses dark colored ties so you can't see the pickup studs in the center so easily.

Maybe it's older C track before they started using black ties.

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
OK, I've seen enough :-(
If these were mine, I'd put them all in a cardboard box and put them in the closet. Buy a single new or almost new engine.

Take your time deciding if you like steam or diesel, and find one that matches your passenger cars.
I'm partial to Athearn, but Bachmann makes good locomotives as well.

·
Registered
11,269 Posts
Thanks guys I didn’t know if they would be worth fixing or not
I agree. If they were mine, I wouldn't waste time effort and money I fixing them. A recent, new production loco will serve you much better.

·
Registered
961 Posts
That UP is a LifeLike F40PH. Open it up and if it has a motor that is integral to the rear truck it would be difficult to repair, but could easily be made into a dummy. If it has the separate motor mid mounted and connected to the rear by a drive train, a $2 ebay motor might be the ticket if the gears mesh smoothly.

The F40PH was a passenger engine and never actually appeared in UP livery, but I'd never discourage anyone from tinkering.

Have you tried cleaning and lubing these? I wouldn't be surprised if at least a couple could be put back running.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Thanks guys I didn’t know if they would be worth fixing or not
The little Rock Island switcher is HO gauge and will fit on your track. It's just smaller than the rest.

Don't give up on them. Try using parts from each to make a good engine. It just takes time, a little ingenuity, some luck and a steady hand.

Repairing old locomotives is just part of the hobby.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts