1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
3 trains running - very cool!

NEW Video - sunrise run - 3 trains
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqSKDw59Dqs

I hope everyone likes! Layout is great, no power issues, no derailment issues, couplers seem to hold fine. I have 24 rolling stock now. I am trying to keep it to 10 cars per train, although I like running all 24 with 2 locos pulling. I have found the bachman GP40($32) pulls better than the Athearn DCC ready GP60m($84). I usually put the bachman up front - no tugging issues. On downhills, the bachhman does surge slightly - poor braking, but not too bad.

Does anyone know if there are any FRED's out there. does anyone sell a unit to attach at the end of the train?

also, do f7 units still run in areas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FEQ51g_Ogs

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,876 Posts
The F7's were basically the same as the F3's.
A copy and paste,
There are no easily identifiable differences between late F3 production and early F7 production; the major differences were all internal electrical system changes. However, no F7 had the “chicken wire” grilles of most F3s, and no F3s had the later F7 changes described below under Phases.

The EMD F9 is distinguishable from the late F7 by having five, rather than four, carbody center louver groups covering the carbody filters. The additional one is placed ahead of the first porthole, where F7s have no openings. The F9s greater power output, of course, cannot be seen from the outside.

A copy and paste from wiki on where they still run. Most of them stopped working in the 70's. Except in Canada.

* The Escanaba and Lake Superior Railroad (as of April 2009) operates an F7A (#600) in main line freight service. The unit is the former Milwaukee Road #96A, frame number 3073-A1 built January 1951.
* The Western Pacific Railroad Museum at Portola, CA rosters two former Western Pacific Railroad F7As: WP 917-D and 921-D. These engines are part of the museum's popular "Run a locomotive" program. Their roster also includes an FP7 passenger version, WP 805-A.
* The California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento, CA has the former Western Pacific F7A 913. This engine is operational.
* The Fillmore and Western Railway in Fillmore, CA has two F7As that are operational.
* The Monticello Railway Museum in Monticello, IL allows guests to operate their Wabash Railroad F7A #1189 for a donation through the "Throttle Time" program.
* The North Carolina Transportation Museum, Spencer, NC, has former Southern Railway FP-7 6133 in operating condition, with Southern colors.
* The Baltimore & Ohio Railroad Museum, Baltimore, MD, has former Western Maryland Railway F7A 236 in operating condition.
* The Boston & Maine Railroad had 4 F7A's with accompanying B units, numbered 4265-4268 (A & B). #4267A was demolished in a derailment. #4266 survives at this writing, at the Conway Scenic RR in North Conway NH, where it is rostered as a spare unit and operated frequently. It is owned by the 470 RR Club of Portland ME and operated under a lease agreement with CSRR. #4268 is also owned by the 470 Club, and is on static display (exterior only) at CSRR. The prime mover has been removed. #4265 is on static display at the Gorham Historical Society at the former Grand Trunk RR depot in Gorham, NH. It is also inoperable but is being converted into a movie theater/picture gallery with access to the cab.
* The Lake Superior Railroad Museum in Duluth, MN owns a Milwaukee Road F7 Booster unit, 71B. It was used to power a snow plow.
* The Mining Machinery Museum & Park, Port Hedland at Port Hedland has a former Western Pacific Railroad F7A: 923A. This was sold to Mt. Newman Mining and operated as lococmotive 5451 before being transferred to Port Hedland Shire Council[1][2]. This is a static display. The prime mover has been removed.
* The Minnesota Transportation Museum owns Great Northern Railway F7A 454-A, which is painted in Northern Pacific Railway colors, unrestored, and lacking its internal machinery. They also have steam heat car 16, which the Great Northern constructed from F7B 458-B, originally 306-B.

There are two F3's that I know of in Steamtown Scranton, Pa

The old CNJ F3 #56 and #57.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QBRau399fY

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sweet, thanks for the info. yes, the RG does run here. the wify and i are going to take a train from denver to glenwood springs - through the rockies to glenwood canyon - i cannot wait!! mmmmmmmm, hot springs! i did not know the royal gorge was still running F7 units? I don't go south too much, mainly West. plus i am just starting to figure this stuff out.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
THANKS TJ! I will slowly make my way around to the upper area to improve realism. this is the first time i used plaster on the areas right next to the track......VERY FUN! I think it came out very well. used low temp hot glue to secure trees to layout.

Question: my lights are slowly melting the plastic covers? why is this happening? do i need resistors? i have them connected to the accessory side of the power pack - 5 lights total. it really looks like only one is melting????? please help - i am not an electrician, lol

TJ - I wish i had a 1000 sq. ft. basement, lol

·
16,666 Posts
Electrical resistance = heat = melting potential. Drop the voltage, maybe ... resistor in wired in series might work. Some transformers have a way to control the accessory output voltage.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks. what about DCC and lighting??? is it the same connections? if i switch to DCC, can i have the accessories - lights, switches - remain connected to the old power pack? in other words - one source of power for DCC to track, and one source of power for accessories.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Swiggy... this is a random thing to pick out of your layout... as it is amazing... but the bridge with the tunnel (half circle tunnel), did you make that yourself or did you purchase that. I think that is a really neat touch.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks brad, I did make it myself. i used a 6" packing tube cut in half. i will eventually fill the area with foam and make it more realistic. i was thinking something like an arch bridge or something like that. by the end of the summer i should have this finished (even though it is a forever thing)

·
Registered
356 Posts
I say maybe cover it with some plaster, but I like its style. Great touch to a great layout.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts