Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a ton of track, some cars, controls etc. that I've had since I was 15 years old....so this stuff is 23 years old. Most of it is in like new condition I did put it together when I was a kid.... of the two engines, something happened to the plastic clip that connects the engine to the other cars so clips will need fixed....other than that, everything still works perfectly.

Let me know if you are interested. I'd like to get $150 + shipping costs for the whole lot??? Negotiable.

Thanks for your time.

Here's an inventory list...there is a little more though, I found more in the basement :D and pics show the extra.

Track
Curve 9-inch 112
Straight 9-inch 58
Flex 3-feet 4
switch track 9-inch 5
Curve 4.5-inch 8
Curve 3.5-inch 8
Straight 6-inch 5

Trains/cars
engines 3
box cars 5
coal cars 4
caboose 3
log cars 2
car carriers 4

3 controllers

Dave McCoy
Grove City, Ohio

Attachments

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I would politely second his thought and add another. The hobby is light years beyond 23 years ago and what you have is of interest to a very few. My suggestion would be to break it down into smaller lots and Ebay it. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you'd get there on a much wider market.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just a thought but you might want to start off with a post besides your for sale post to build up some rep first.

But mind you just a thought.;):confused: & GL
Appreciate the suggestion and if I were continuing the model train hobby I would agree, posting to make some friends or build a rep is a good idea. But since I havent touched this stuff in 23 years I'm pretty sure I have nothing of any interest to say about the hobby - other than I am still very awe inspired by what you guys/gals do with train sets!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would politely second his thought and add another. The hobby is light years beyond 23 years ago and what you have is of interest to a very few. My suggestion would be to break it down into smaller lots and Ebay it. You might be pleasantly surprised at what you'd get there on a much wider market.
I checked eBAY first, rather than have this stuff get lost in a sea of 2000+ ho scale train pieces and parts, I thought I'd start with my friends on facebook and then a train forum. My thought was that you train guys might know some young kid and father team looking to get into it, maybe? This would make a pretty good starter kit :)

Though my cars and what not are 23 years old wouldnt they be more valuable? I donno if you can even get some of this stuff anymore - I figure the track is still good isnt it? Have they gone and changed the way track is made?

I figure I'll give it some time then take you up on your idea of splitting it up and eBay'ing it.

Thanks for the comments and suggetions....the more I hang out here though, the more I might consider reliving the dream ;) this forum is a bad influence :p

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Though my cars and what not are 23 years old wouldnt they be more valuable? I donno if you can even get some of this stuff anymore - I figure the track is still good isnt it? Have they gone and changed the way track is made?...the more I hang out here though, the more I might consider reliving the dream ;) this forum is a bad influence :p
We'll get you building a layout yet...:p

The track is still good and it is nickle silver to boot so it should have no problem selling. As for value, only a small percentage of HO is valuable since most are made in job lots of 50,000+ pieces or more. It takes a keen eye that has been in the hobby for a long time to look over yard sales, train shows and flea markets for that right piece that has any value.

Sadly, too many in those venues believe that age = value, making for a bad atmosphere for a kind, constructive critique of what they have. I'm reminded of the thrift store down the street whose owner has a busted up Tyco tank car with a $35 price tag on it that I can buy mint in the box for $2 all day.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I agree with shaygetz on the age thing. Older doesn't neccessarily mean more valuable.
In recent months I've bought several older sets much like yours......but for much less. Around the 40-50 dollar range. DCC is all the rage now, and a lot of people don't want to deal with converting the older stuff.

If it were me, I'd hang onto it and start on a layout.

Just a thought.

Jody

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same boat

I am in the same boat as Acreator. I am keeping the cars for my grand kids because they were my dad's but I have about 200 pieces of HO track and about 50 pillars (most of witch are missing a little piece I can not seem to find. It is all circa late 60's stuff and not for a beginner as some little repairs need to be made but it is back from the days when it was a more pure hobby (Ozzie & Herriot). One, is it worth putting on eBay and 2, where can I find the little piece that connects the track to the pillars? Thanks

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome, diotase...that stuff is best found on Ebay and at train shows, a picture would help here too. Blessings, B

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, Shaygetz, I'll get some pic's up next week. I need some help knowing what some things are called (like that piece that dead ends a line), simple stuff that I just don't know as I was 7 when we moved and the whole thing went into storage.:) On a side note, do they make reproductions of the engines from the Great Locomotive Chase? I live in the area (about 100 meters) of that line.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I know the General has been offered from a variety of makers over the years, but I couldn't tell you how accurate they are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts