Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never heard of this before
A sad end to someone's hobby.

My grandson attended a somber basement estate sale... $20 cover charge, strict social distancing w/masks. I'm not sure why the items weren't put up for auction. Maybe the cover fee made it worthwhile. Maybe with the virus, an auction couldn't be organized. Or maybe it was in the will.

I'd given him some cash, and a shopping list. He said the earlygoers had stripped out most of the lot, and all the locomotives and top-shelf items were already gone.
He returned with a few Athearn RTR cars, and a mix of 142 assorted Athearn & Walthers intermodal shipping containers... all for $125.
It's tragic and almost criminal. The majority have never been unpackaged. A dozen or so were wrapped in tissue paper. We have mixed emotions.

This is one of the two Tupperware bins he brought home.
EstateSale_003.jpg

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
A $20 cover for a basement sale? I would have wanted to see a list of sale items before giving up $20.

Was there also a two drink minimum?

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
About a dollar an item, even with the 20 bucks. Is that really the first thought you had?

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I guess it was a bad decision then.
BTW, there was an inventory list at the door.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
The list would make all the difference then.

If there were items I think I might like to buy, it might be worth the cost of admission. Going in blind? Not so much.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of BLI steam... a couple Tenshodo brass.
Five or six Proto diesels, and a few Genesis.
A ton of CMW stuff.
A Rapido RDC.
Some MTH passenger.
A dozen or so Walthers passenger.
Lots of InterMountain, Atlas & Red Caboose rolling stock.

All gone.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The layout was really nice...
A big 'L', with a 12'x18' joined to a 6'x10', all walkaround, with center accesses. All D.C., code 100. Almost everything was C&NW and GN.
A white board said he was an oil worker in the Middle East, and the layout was done in-place (while he was away) by a custom model firm in 1990. Had to cost a fortune.
No word on how he passed.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
where do all the old layouts go? I'm guessing the majority go into the big bin. but there's one down the street here done or started in the 60s I think. it's very nice in many ways but all DC to this day. It's been moved at least one time and started in a long defunct hobby store if i recall the history properly. still ...

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow. Would make for a heck of an intermodal yard or port.
You're absolutely correct...
More importantly, building a unit drag of container cars is extremely expensive, with the containers being the major cost.
The wellcars are discounted now and then, but finding quality containers at sale prices is rare and few between.
These will go a long way in filling the void... especially since 95% of my wellcars are Athearn & Walthers.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Okay, I guess it was a bad decision then.
BTW, there was an inventory list at the door.
That depends on if you want to sell some off to get your money back. They are not cheap by any means. I was looking around and the silver Maersk goes for $9.95 each and the Yellow ones are going for around $25.00 to $30.00 for a two pack and I am not quoting ebay on this. So it may have been worth the price.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Enjoy what you got and try not to feel too sad about the collection getting busted up. This may happen more than most of us know. Your grandson's statement about early birds getting the best of it, tells me this estate sale was advertised. The add probably had the word "train" in it. There may be some on these boards that watch estates sales for the word train. Estate sales are a quick way to turn assets into cash. Estate sales are also a contract, meaning whomever is holding the estate sale gets a percentage of sales. I have never heard of a cover charge so that may be because the one holding the sale did not think percentage would not be enough to pay for his/her services. I had an estate sale in 2018 for my mothers collections. She is in a nursing home that costs over eight thousand a month. I have been her conservator since Jan 2016. May be something similar to this person selling this train stuff.

·
Registered
7,786 Posts
Never heard of this before
A sad end to someone's hobby.

My grandson attended a somber basement estate sale... $20 cover charge, strict social distancing w/masks. I'm not sure why the items weren't put up for auction. Maybe the cover fee made it worthwhile. Maybe with the virus, an auction couldn't be organized. Or maybe it was in the will.

I'd given him some cash, and a shopping list. He said the earlygoers had stripped out most of the lot, and all the locomotives and top-shelf items were already gone.
He returned with a few Athearn RTR cars, and a mix of 142 assorted Athearn & Walthers intermodal shipping containers... all for $125.
It's tragic and almosst criminal. The majority have never been unpackaged. A dozen or so were wrapped in tissue paper. We have mixed emotions.
I think if you're feeling that bad, you should march right over there and give them another $125, or more, to ease your tortured conscience.....

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Don"t forget the $20 cover if you didn't get your hand stamped the first time to get back in.

·
Registered
706 Posts
A sad end to someone's life for sure, but I wouldn't say it's a sad end to their hobby. The items they spent so long collecting are now in the hands of hobbyists who hopefully will enjoy them.

I have a good-sized box on the way now from a gentleman who sold me his dad's trains. He expressed to me that he was very pleased that his trains were going to someone who appreciated them. As he was not interested in the hobby I imagine this is the best outcome he could ask for.

As a bargain hunter my self, I'd say excellent score on you and your grandson's part.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Grandson left his cell# with the sellers.
They called... another 64 containers turned up in a cardboard box.
He's picking them up tonight.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts