Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to get a B&O Switcher from Evil Bay, but not having much luck. I have gone for 3 different ones so far, and have been really close to getting all of them. Hopefully this time is a charm. If anyone on here bought a P2k B&O switcher this past weekend, I hate you... OK, not really, but I thought I had it.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,875 Posts
Yeah, I hate getting sniped right at the end of the auction.:mad:
Well why don't you snipe right back?

I watch and snipe back manually at the last 3 seconds. I use a stopwatch.:sly::cool:

But I watch for a while from the start of the listing, sometimes I throw in a test bid to see how another bidder bids.

Then I wait till the last few seconds and move in for the kill.:D:sold:

It wins me stuff 90% of the times.

And if I don't it went for more money then I cared to spend on it anyway.
Most of the times another will come to auction anyway.

·
play every day
4,950 Posts
I'm a big fan of Ebay, and have bought and sold lots of stuff on it. Bidding is lots of fun, because there's always another deal.

And Ebay isn't evil... only people can be evil. ;)

·
16,666 Posts
I'll confess that I like ebay, too. But here's my latest beef ...

The other day, one person was selling three old Lionel cars (2 Pullmans, 1 Observation), but with each as its own auction, with all three auctions ending at exactly the same time!

If somebody was interesting in buying 2 or 3 of the cars in the set, how could they confidently bid on any, knowing that they couldn't watch all three auctions in the last moments, and/or bid on all 3 at the last moments?

Arrghhhhh!

TJ

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
yep, if i really want an item i will be sniping it.

I'll confess that I like ebay, too. But here's my latest beef ...

The other day, one person was selling three old Lionel cars (2 Pullmans, 1 Observation), but with each as its own auction, with all three auctions ending at exactly the same time!

If somebody was interesting in buying 2 or 3 of the cars in the set, how could they confidently bid on any, knowing that they couldn't watch all three auctions in the last moments, and/or bid on all 3 at the last moments?

Arrghhhhh!

TJ
how can this be? he couldn't list all 3 listing in one shot, so there has to be at least couple minutes between them .

·
16,666 Posts
Tankist ...

Good question ... I have no idea how (or why!) a seller does that. All three were down to the exact same minute. (Maybe a few seconds apart, perhaps ... but the same minute.)

I don't have much SELLING ebay experience ... can a seller choose a specific "end auction time", rather than say simply 7 days from whenever he lists the item?

TJ

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you have a start time in the future you can list 100 items that end at the same time. I just listed a couple of Katos that will start 5 pst.

·
16,666 Posts
Kootch,

Thanks for the ebay listing info. I was quite curious about that.

So ... just out of curiosity, why are you choosing to list your items at exactly the same time (and, accordingly, having the auctions end at exactly the same time). Doesn't that detract a bit from an potential buyer who's interesting in bidding on more than one item?

Maybe stagger them by a few minutes?

Set me straight ...

TJ

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kootch,

Thanks for the ebay listing info. I was quite curious about that.

So ... just out of curiosity, why are you choosing to list your items at exactly the same time (and, accordingly, having the auctions end at exactly the same time). Doesn't that detract a bit from an potential buyer who's interesting in bidding on more than one item?

Maybe stagger them by a few minutes?

Set me straight ...

TJ
You are right. I was in a big rush to get out this morning and I forgot to stagger them like I normally do. I just edited the listing. Thanks for the reminding me.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
That is why I bid what it is worth. The snipe can be fun but I feel the wasted time. If someone wants it, bid on it. I am surprised they haven't done anything about it. The whole thing is geared for the seller. Mystery bidders.The Sunday night ending. Just they way they separate lots makes me minimize my bidding. I guess it is just give and take.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It is an auction, go to any auction and there is no limit as to when and how long an auction is allowed. The big thing is to decide what something is worth to you. My biggest gripe is the ridiculous shipping people charge as a way to make up for low sales prices. I just tried to make an offer on a repair manual for my atv on CD and they want $4.95 for shipping. The guy said that is what it costs to copy and ship! Where is he shipping from, the Somalia?

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,875 Posts
That is why I bid what it is worth. The snipe can be fun but I feel the wasted time. If someone wants it, bid on it. I am surprised they haven't done anything about it. The whole thing is geared for the seller. Mystery bidders.The Sunday night ending. Just they way they separate lots makes me minimize my bidding. I guess it is just give and take.
So in the end lets say that you bid $40 on something and I come and snipe it for $41.

What your saying is that even if I put a $41 bid on it seconds after you put a $40 bid on it you wouldn't have countered anyway since you put your limit on it?

So snipe or no snipe I would have won it. As you all ready put your max in on what you thought it was worth.

Me I don't bid till the end so it doesn't drive the price up. And a last second bid may win or may not win because of what someone else might have bid more anyway.

I agree you on mystery bidders or some who look new to bidding. It might be someone just trying to get more $ for the seller.

Time ending? Thats up to the seller and with him listing so close, hes counting on you to put a larger bid as you would like all of the set. When I see something like that I just don't bid on it as I would want the whole set or none.
Unless I am just interested in one particular item.

I like sniping.

TJ you know you can get a snipe program that will let you bid on all of the items that are listed so close together. Even if your computer is turned off.
There's a free version that lets you snipe up to a certain amount during a week.
Another version you can buy that lets you snipe unlimited per week.

Though even with snipe you have to put in a max of what your willing to spend.

So in the end snipe or no snipe your still putting in the max you will spend.:rolleyes::D

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Personally...I like to catch one early, get the "lead" position with a low bid, and then see if someone tops me. If they do, I leave it alone till the last minute. Let them feel confident I gave up. In the interim, I'll look for the same item in another auction. If I don't find it, I'll decide my max, snipe it as late as I dare and see what happens. I do not let myself get drawn into bidding wars during or at the end of the auction.

If no one tops me during the auction, I assume someone will snipe me at the end. So, if I have $4 as a leading bid but would be willing to pay a max of $20, I'll wait a couple of days and increase my bid to $20. That way, the last-minute sniper may top my $4 with a $10 bid, but won't have time to increment himself up above $20 during the last 10 seconds. If he wants to go over my maximum bid, more power to him: he can have it. One less competitor on the next go-round and he's paid more than the item was worth, in my eyes. That means he has less money to play with on the next bid we both want.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Well why don't you snipe right back?

I watch and snipe back manually at the last 3 seconds. I use a stopwatch.:sly::cool:

But I watch for a while from the start of the listing, sometimes I throw in a test bid to see how another bidder bids.

Then I wait till the last few seconds and move in for the kill.:D:sold:

It wins me stuff 90% of the times.

And if I don't it went for more money then I cared to spend on it anyway.
Most of the times another will come to auction anyway.
I think that's a good strategy, but I'm dubious about the 3 seconds. I understand it works for you, and that's what counts. I'm just doubtful that the combination of delays between my pc and ebay's server wouldn't screw up that tight a schedule. I'm more comfortable with 5 seconds, 10 if I know I'm not gonna up my bid, anyway. I lose occasionally, but it's to guys who bid beyond what I'm willing to pay.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,635 Posts
Personally...I like to catch one early, get the "lead" position with a low bid, and then see if someone tops me. If they do, I leave it alone till the last minute. Let them feel confident I gave up. In the interim, I'll look for the same item in another auction. If I don't find it, I'll decide my max, snipe it as late as I dare and see what happens. I do not let myself get drawn into bidding wars during or at the end of the auction.

If no one tops me during the auction, I assume someone will snipe me at the end. So, if I have $4 as a leading bid but would be willing to pay a max of $20, I'll wait a couple of days and increase my bid to $20. That way, the last-minute sniper may top my $4 with a $10 bid, but won't have time to increment himself up above $20 during the last 10 seconds. If he wants to go over my maximum bid, more power to him: he can have it. One less competitor on the next go-round and he's paid more than the item was worth, in my eyes. That means he has less money to play with on the next bid we both want.
I did that with an engine, except that I led with 30 dollars. The sniper increased on increments of 10 and he lost by less than 5 before time ran out.
No deal that day but I had a victory dance.

·
16,666 Posts
Big Ed,

Thanks for tip / info on "sniping software". I'm no "power bidder", but there have been times where I've been hunting for a pair of things with auctions ending at exactly the same time. Maybe a software like you suggest could help. I'll check into it.

Thanks!

TJ

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
*LOL* Good for you! I had one where my visible bid was something like $12.23; my maximum bid was $22.23. That's what I thought, anyway, but I fumble-fingered and actually had a top bid of $122.23! Ended up paying about $18 and change, but it taught me to take a little more time and check my figures.:laugh:

1 - 20 of 57 Posts