Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up one of these. I've heard of ExactRail but had never seen any in person. On a whim, my local hs had a few -- and they stuck one in a bag with some ground cover I needed for me to pick up.

It's quite nice in many ways but 3 tiny parts fell off right away after I was giving it a quick look. I'm not sure I can get them back on without a microscope.
1589197124330.png

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
I have many ExactRail models, and not one has ever come apart.
They have a very good Customer Service dept. They might offer to exchange the model, but these days I'm sure it'll take awhile.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think it's new new. The box is very tattered. The 3 parts that came off are: the little silver foot grating on one side. (this i can glue for sure actually) [so what i think is i'm not the first to open the box]

And 2 tiny wires that somehow go from a corner of gondola to the box of the coupler. But there's no parts diagrams. Eyeing the website I can see the tiny things on a pic but I have to spend more time on it to orient and glue down.

I'm not mad or anything. Either I'll fix it or I'll just ignore it. I'm thinking of getting another in fact!

I may get a Tangent or two as well.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
That Greenville gon is a sold out item anyway... not much chance of replacement.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Box says 2009. I mean I think I got these guys numbers at my local hobby store. I'm not trying to dis-them, but they go to a lot shows and wheel and deal. They probably go this off someones table slightly used, or some deal with someone selling off inventory. Who knows.

I didn't get it with any idea other than it was convenient and I just wanted to see a higher level piece.

But yeah, this is a nice piece and I do plan on some others. Just not sure which ones. (so I may just buy direct as these folks have no formal inventory)

I also picked up (similar to) this American Limited.

It's also pretty nice and no parts fell off it. The box appears new although I noticed it may have been opened one time. (there was a slight crease)

Anyway I particularly like the little blue hubs and shiny wheels. The hubs or "end caps" I think rotate. From 6" this is neat.

And I used a magnifying class to read all the print which is legible ... it's a nice piece.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have (metaphorically speaking) fat fingers. I can pick a piece up and something may fall of it. maybe i should get this kind of stuff and first thing go around and touch all the obviously fragile little bits with some glue.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
FWIW, MSRP was $41, website $32.
LHS price was $28 to $35.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok not really. but what i want is durability and detail. little bit at cross purposes. ($30 -- box say $29.99) someone else's sticker though

·
Registered
838 Posts
A caveat from "the auction site" regarding these cars...

CAUTION: be very careful when unpacking and removing these cars from the trays they sit in! Small detail parts are everywhere with tiny amounts of glue so as not to be visible. They are easily broken loose but can usually be reglued...be careful!

So, I guess you're not the first person to have this issue... 🤣
It's a beautiful model, Severn, congrats! The price was right, free shipping!

·
Registered
826 Posts
The part highlighted above is called the "cut lever" -- it "pulls the pin" on the coupler to uncouple the cars.

Being older, with "older vision", I'm not sure I'd really care about having such finely-detailed cars any more. For me, many of the details are getting "too small" to see without a magnifying glass. And the cars can't stand much handling at all before stuff starts coming loose, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
The only car I've managed to break was an InterMountain reefer center-step that I broke in half with my thumb, just lifting it out of the box cradle.
Grrrrr!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I guess the simple answer is that any part easily added by hand is subject to being removed by one too. But I think these are well made, they are fairly hefty feeling and have a solid look.

Here's my unbelievably brief review:

• cost: $30. about double say something similar from Bachmann. I have don't have one of those either by I do have some old tyco gondolas -- no comparison.
  • size: biggish
  • paint: well painted. all the tiny lettering is legible with a magnifying glass etc and labeling is all over it.
  • lots of add on details on ends and bottoms
  • lot of small diameter wire for handles and various things I don't know the name of ("cut level" ) -- that may be scaled down appropriately ... it certainly enhances the look.
  • although mostly plastic none of it looks particularly plasticy
  • even though 3 items came off, this may have to do with repeat handling by others more than me. a new one may well stay together just fine.
  • (i assume its free wheels nicely, i haven't tried to push it on any track yet)
"looks real" ...

Ok so bottom line. As noted is the realism worth it? I think a qualified yes. Perhaps one doesn't need the entire train to be these high quality pieces but a few sprinkled among the rust buckets is kinda nice.

And so because it was easy ("one google search away!") I found the actual real deal. Hmm, mine looks better than real! Har.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Tangent is equally nice.
InterMountain is good too.

·
Premium Member
4,021 Posts
Exactly.
In my 100-car freights, approximately 30% are premium cars.
Few people notice one way or the other.
And if they're nicely weathered... nobody notices.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts