Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built my 16' x 22' Lionel train table from 2" x 2" aluminum extrusions manufactured by 8020. I was concerned that all the aluminum would interfere with the wireless signals being sent to the engines, etc., but there ended up being no problem at all. The framework bolts together with right angle brackets as pictured, and is extremely rigid. The legs have height adjustable leveling feet.

IMG_8852.jpg IMG_8855.jpg IMG_8853.jpg IMG_8854.jpg

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Nicely done. An extrapolation of GRJ's wireless solutions for weak signals ... tie the aluminum frame to earth (house) ground. Then your entire table will become the ground plane for the signal.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I like it !

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The computer program "RR Track" was used to design the layout. It also helped me calculate the type and quantity of aluminum extrusions needed to assemble the table. No wood was used below the surface of the table. I had some leftover CNC electronic components and software on hand, and used it to computerize the operation of the turntable. I have a number of short G-code files, each of which rotates the turntable to a specific track.

IMG_9332.jpg IMG_9333.jpg IMG_9335.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts