Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm real close to just holding my breath praying for their success.

Not to jinx the mission, but there's little commentary on the hazards faced by Behnken and Hurley,
who are flippantly being referred to as "Bob & Doug" by the video commentators.

I am in remembrance of our seventeen astronauts who have lost their lives in this endeavor.

It seems like they are treating this like a Lego Launch. And Kelly Clarkson murdering
our National Anthem, good grief.

I'm just a grumpy old man, I guess. And ranting.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Those that don't know think the space program has become just a trip to the market like it's an everyday thing to sit on top of a giant Roman candle and be fired into orbit.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess there was a lot of discussion about the safety of loading propellant with the crew already on board,
but that's the way it is now. Lots of things are becoming counter-intuitive. At least they will arm
the crew-escape system first.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what my wife said!
Of course, she's Chinese and TOTALLY superstitious... 😆

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I'm hoping they pull it off. Remember that this system has flown successfully a dozen times without a crew. I applaud them for scrubbing due to weather because the real danger isn't the systems malfunctioning, it's the loss of a safety culture among management.

Speaking of jinxed, last time I decided to watch a launch live, it was Space Shuttle Challenger in 1986, and we all know how that ended. Should I try to break the jinx or not?

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Most of us grew up watching Eric Severeid, Howard Mudd, Jules Bergman, Frank Reynolds and Uncle Walther on TV giving us a technical lesson in Launch and Space Flight...gritty and enlightening to a Grade Schooler!! and then the Astronauts themselves...TEST PILOTS(The Right Stuff), The Demon that lives out there, the Edge of the Envelope...now it's all Trivialized does anybody really care....We had the opportunity to see The Discovery launch from Kennedy on 1/25/85 and it was Awe Inspiring from 3.5 miles away, ground rumbling, air ripping and thunderous sound...."God Speed to Falcon 9" and "No Handball Playing "!!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Speaking of jinxed, last time I decided to watch a launch live, it was Space Shuttle Challenger in 1986, and we all know how that ended. Should I try to break the jinx or not?
Watched that one live also. Was a senior in college. Figured I watch it go then head to my afternoon classes. Never made it to my afternoon classes.

I watched every one I could live.

Went to Florida for a vacation in 2002. The primary reason being to watch the launch of STS-110. Launch got scrubbed so we went to the space center. Bad idea. Saw it go up from the plane on the way back home. It was 100 miles away, but it was still pretty cool. Still have a hat around here somewhere with the mission patch on it.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
My wife was once on a Navy ship waiting to pull in to Port Canaveral and saw the space shuttle launch from there. She said it lit up the pre-dawn sky like sunrise. I am exceedingly jealous.

To continue Stumpy's remarks, in January 1986, I was in my first year of a Navy-sponsored MBA program. I DID make it to class that afternoon (class attendance was one of my few "military duties" in the program), and when I got to class, my classmates did not initially believe me when I told them. It was only about 15 minutes into the class, when another professor poked his head in and shared the news, that it really sank in. The course was Operations Management 510, and after watching about 30 min of coverage, we spend the rest of that class and all of the following class talking about Risk Management. It remains one of the most profound lessons I ever had.

As an employee of the world's premier submarine maker, I obviously love good engineering. I really hope they get their chance to shine later today.

Reactions: cid

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
I watched it live, and broke the jinx. It was awesome! I got goosebumps!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for breakin' the jinx, CTV!!
I had the heeby-jeebies the whole time they were under thrust. Glad they made it OK.
And the first stage saved itself from a watery grave! Good job, and great engineering!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts