Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of the most unique stream engines that served a very important purpose, keeping the engineer and fireman from suffocating going through the long tunnels.

This one is at the Railroad Museum of California in Sacramento. I have added Lionel's Daylight version as well.

View attachment 487290

View attachment 487292

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this photo of the Empire State Express from 1944.

nyc-empire-s.jpg

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brian. The cab forward is indeed a unique design. The first time I saw a cab forward photo was in the late 60s or early 70s, at least 45 years ago, and I still can't decide if it's beautiful or ugly. It certainly was a practical concept and it seems odd that more steam engines weren't made or adapted to a cab forward.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Joe, the Cab Forward was a engine that I had no plans of adding to our train inventory. It never appealed to me very much. But that was until Lionel introduced the Daylight fantasy Cab Forward. I believe that this was a Mike Reagan decision and as it turned out, a good one at that. It won me over and it is one of the most beautiful steamers in out inventory.

As it turned out, the fantasy Cab Forward out sold by far the more accurate models.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Joe, do you know the location of the Empire State Express pic? Just curious.

Brian, the cab forward engine is interesting. I have one in HO but have yet to acquire an O scale version.

Here is a pic of a couple Metro North F40PH-3 Locomotives in Hoboken. They are headed back from the service track to their assigned trains in the Terminal...

Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
Great looking loco Brian.:thumbsup:

Joe, the Cab Forward was a engine that I had no plans of adding to our train inventory. It never appealed to me very much. But that was until Lionel introduced the Daylight fantasy Cab Forward. I believe that this was a Mike Reagan decision and as it turned out, a good one at that. It won me over and it is one of the most beautiful steamers in out inventory.

As it turned out, the fantasy Cab Forward out sold by far the more accurate models.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Joe, do you know the location of the Empire State Express pic? Just curious.

Tom
Tom, the photo was taken at Harbor Creek, PA. It's from

rr-fallenflags.org

It's a great site with tons of photos.

·
Registered
735 Posts
A little Northeast action.....there is nothing finer then a streamlined New Haven passenger consist!

tFgDGKavQ0e+ZleKrhj77Q.jpg

wj58CKiETjC4sX06XRSRGw.jpg

BDmHlNVlRTSIkf4R0PQRwQ.jpg

S1tps6mWQgSQ4LVbJR0HSA.jpg

Enjoy your weekend, everyone!
Peter

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, I agree the SP Cab Forward is a very unique locomotive. Whether I watch old videos of the real thing or an o scale model they are kind of mesmerizing when rolling down the tracks. We have the Lionel version of #4294 and it really stands out. #4294 will get a lot of use when the layout is built.

Regards,

Gary.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Peter, your NH passenger train is a looker. The NH paint scheme is very attractive.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vern, Harry Hieke worked some overtime weathering the engines in your first image. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts