Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fast track Question: my platform is a 4x8 sheet of plywood. I am using Lionel fast track. To make 2 ovals on the 4x8 sheet of plywood what size curves are need for outside and inside oval. Thanks.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Bull, I showed you the anyrail picture and the curves required to do that. You can download anyrail and use it for free for up to 50 pieces of track. It has the fastrack in a liabrary and you can test it for yourself and experiment with various patterns.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
A good question.

The inner loop would be 8, 36 in radius curves. That is at the ends with 10 inch track joining( maybe four with a total of 8). After that it is decision time. Stay with 8 more 36 in curves or go the next size up to 42?. It may be impossible to do it under four feet.

I found one plan on an image search that sold the whole deal with switches but it is 41/2 by 8

Do you want two independent loops?

I don't use fastrack but it is a basic question that maybe someone can answer.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
Bull why start a new thread when the answer is in your other thread?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
890 Posts
T-man, I think you mean 18" radius curves (36" circle) and I think the next size up may be 22" (44" circle)

Also, keep in mind that if running the lionchief trains with the remote controls then the loops may need to be separate.

Lastly, the track layout in your link appears to be on a 4.5' x 8' platform if I read it correctly.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have one fast track oval already on my 4x8 sheet of plywood. The oval has 36” curves. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Download SCARM track planning s/w at this link. No purchase/license is needed for up to 100 pieces of track.

It has Lionel Fastrack in it's database (top left menu, "O", Fastrack) with all the available Fastrack segments including the various curve diameters. You can define your baseboard (e.g., 4x8, L, etc.) and then lay Fastrack segments. That will show you exactly what will fit, etc.

Here's my plans as an example:

Layout.png

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
FastTrack is FastTrack O tubular is O tubular. How about you post a picture of your layouts so the people here know exactly how to answer the questions.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
T-man, I think you mean 18" radius curves (36" circle) and I think the next size up may be 22" (44" circle)

Also, keep in mind that if running the lionchief trains with the remote controls then the loops may need to be separate.

Lastly, the track layout in your link appears to be on a 4.5' x 8' platform if I read it correctly.

Thanks for the clarification on the radius.
The image was the closest to 4 by 8.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
T-MAN nice lay out. I want to do the same thing you have. The 3 track. One outside oval and than 2 inner ovals. I just have to find out what curves would work with fast track. I already have 36” curves. 4x8 is my platform. Thanks

·
Yard Master & Research
10,652 Posts
T-MAN nice lay out. I want to do the same thing you have. The 3 track. One outside oval and than 2 inner ovals. I just have to find out what curves would work with fast track. I already have 36” curves. 4x8 is my platform. Thanks
The inner track is 027 and the outer is O gage.
The bottom is just an L for a trolley.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts