Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I'm interested if there are issues (switches, etc.) between Lionel Fastrack and prewar Lionel. I'm thinking of using Fastrack for a seasonal Christmas layout on the living room carpet.

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hear that certain pre-war and Marx stuff has issues with the flanges hitting the ties on a lot of track. I don't have any personally to see at the present time.
Makes for a rough ride in Passenger cars :) Thanks John. I'll have to test for that when the next local train show occurs.

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
Most of the stuff should run fine, some of the smaller locos ( the switchers mostly) dont play well with the switches. I run fasttrack around the tree, most of the other stuff ran fine.

·
Registered
8,910 Posts
Back when I had Fastrak, I had no problems with the half-dozen postwar Lionel locos and a limited number of postwar Lionel rolling stock I had, nor any problems with some postwar Kusan and Marx locos. Even two pre-war wind up Marx lcos ran fine. I only had four swtiches at the time but they handled them. I imagine there are a few postwar locos that might be upset by a Fastrak switch or two, but then I had some much more modern ones that don't like them, either.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My Ives and Lionel Tinplate don’t like Fastrak. It’ll run but the flanges hit every stinking tie....sounds like a blender.

Haven’t tried the manual switches I have but I wager it’ll be the same/worse.

***They also don’t like O-27 rail...again it’s a flange depth issue.

No issues on Gargraves :)

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Ives and Lionel Tinplate don’t like Fastrak. It’ll run but the flanges hit every stinking tie....sounds like a blender.

Haven’t tried the manual switches I have but I wager it’ll be the same/worse.

***They also don’t like O-27 rail...again it’s a flange depth issue.

No issues on Gargraves :)
Thank you.

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
What trains are you running? I think that may be a better determination of what may or may not work.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lionel Prewar Box cab Electric 248, 249E and 259E Locos;
Lionel Prewar 529/530 4-Wheel Passenger cars, Early and Late Versions of 610/612 Passenger Cars
Marx Prewar 4-Wheel freight cars and a Marx Postwar 666

·
Hobo for Life
6,100 Posts
If i recall i ran my 259e on the fast track with the cars it came with. The small ones. The marx is hard as they made a lot of models of that 666. I didnt run my marx much ( i have 2 i think).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Marx will run OK as long as they aren't the "fat tire" ones. Ran good on my Christmas layout, even through a couple of crosses and switches.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If i recall i ran my 259e on the fast track with the cars it came with. The small ones. The marx is hard as they made a lot of models of that 666. I didnt run my marx much ( i have 2 i think).
Marx will run OK as long as they aren't the "fat tire" ones. Ran good on my Christmas layout, even through a couple of crosses and switches.
Thanks gents. The motor in my Marx 666 is double reduction, with smoke, but no reverse unit. It does not have fat wheels. That is, the double reduction gearing allows a smaller diameter gear on the drive wheels. But it does have a traction tire fitted to a drive wheel with a recessed groove around it's circumference. And this causes problems with the isolated rail trigger system for self tending switches - unreliable as only one wheel can conducts on that side.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts