Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
To me, steam engines are the best part of any layout, and the more detail they have the better! I can not wait to get my own layout and pick up a UP Big Boy

Great pic B&M! :thumbsup:

I have a lame loco and my dream is to get a fab steam like that one. I shop around every day.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Great pic B&M! :thumbsup:

I have a lame loco and my dream is to get a fab steam like that one. I shop around every day.
Yea, it is a Google image :D

My loco is lame too, just a tiny 2-8-0 in comparison to that 4-8-8-4 beast...

At least you have some money to shop around, I am flat broke... I need to get a job :eek:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
B&M, you will need an extra large layout with extra large curves so your Big Boy can actually go around :)
Fo' sho'!

Do not quote me on this, but I believe it needs 0-72 curves... Right now though I have 0-54 with my oval... To me the less sharp of a curve, the better :)

When I have my actual layout though there is no way I would ever be able to make it all 0-72, so I will probably just have a loop for it to run on and then have everything else be 0-54...

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I just love tinkering, bringing junk back to life like this one...

Just had to rub it in a bit...;)

B&M, you will need an extra large layout with extra large curves so your Big Boy can actually go around :)
The AHM/Rivarossi model from the 70s like the one I have can take 22" radius but, off course, looks pretty sorry doing it...it can clear your mainlines of any pesky rail side detail pretty quick.:p:laugh:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I just love tinkering, bringing junk back to life like this one...

Just had to rub it in a bit...;)
Once again I am just amazed by your work! That piece looks like it just rolled into your layout from the UP main-line :D

Oh, and you can rub it in all you want, I do not mind seeing pictures like that!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, it is a Google image :D

My loco is lame too, just a tiny 2-8-0 in comparison to that 4-8-8-4 beast...

At least you have some money to shop around, I am flat broke... I need to get a job :eek:
When I say "shop around" I mean surf the web dreaming. I am broker than broke. When I find a new job I will be soo happy not to hit my dad up for money anymore.

BTW shaygetz, awsome work man. :appl:

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
When I say "shop around" I mean surf the web dreaming. I am broker than broke. When I find a new job I will be soo happy not to hit my dad up for money anymore.

BTW shaygetz, awsome work man. :appl:
Thank you. I don't spend a whole lot on my trains, in fact, with the exception of basic supplies, I've resolved not to buy anything this year at all. I broke it for a recent collector set purchase and have somewhat regretted it since but that's only strengthened my resolve. At $15, it was not a great loss and certainly is a nice set but the rod of correction has been received.

The hobby as it is portrayed today is simply too expensive for the average Joe. My blog and webpage may dazzle a bit but you'd be surprised how much I actually have into all that model work. I pick up junk and castoffs, plus run interception as people pitch what is worthless to them and have a grand old time doing it. This Marklin piece is a classic example...

The conversation went something like:

"Hey, I got some European junk in the shed. If you want it, take it, cuz I'll just pitch it tomorrow."

I kept the loco, 4 cars and some track and sold the rest of that "European junk" for nearly $750. Situations like that are where most of my hobby coin comes from;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts