Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I do five 100 minute walks outside each week no matter what the weather.

I enjoy MLB and watch as many games as I can.

Model Railroading.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
One of my top faves was watching football and na$car racing. Not anymore.

I guess my faves are walking our dog daily (not so fave in winter!) and reading/responding-to online news sites.

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Reading

Railroading (both model and full-sized)

War & Strategy Gaming

Tabletop Miniatures

Fantasy and Sci Fi RPGs

Reactions: MacDaddy55

·
Registered
4,436 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Collecting, researching, and shooting firearms.

Working my GSD.

Collecting and working on computers.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
Wife and I walk 90 minutes a day.....especially hot here this summer.....

Putting together railway car kits (rainy or snowy days), gardening, helping out kids and grand kids......golfing with a newly retired buddy and co-worker.....working on the cars.....helping out local train store (road trips to buy collections/estates)......

Other than that, nothing really...... :p

·
Registered
83 Posts
Playing my bass guitar and jamming with friends
Playing hockey
Golf
Working on, or driving my 65 Mustang
Face-timing with grandson
and now, a return to Model railroading

·
Registered
883 Posts
Shooting and reloading. Other than .22LR we don't shoot factory ammunition.

Was into Cowboy Action Shooting for a number of years. When you shoot competitively (two people, 5-6 matches a month + live-fire practice) reloading becomes a job, but it does keep the recurring costs down. Haven't shot a match in 3-4 years - need to get back out there.

Woodworking. Mostly just for kicks, but I have done a few pieces of bespoke furniture over the years.

Whenever World of Warcraft comes out with an expansion pack I usually play until I've seen all the new content and get bored. I'm really looking forward to the release of the Baldur's Gate 3 RPG.

·
Registered
9,634 Posts
Rocket propelled grenades? :eek::LOL:
You know, I was sure someone was going to do that. Just didn't think it would be the next guy to post!.

Just to clear it up, it's Role-Playing Games.

And for the record: I ride my rowing machine for 30 minutes five days a week, but I'd hardly call it one of my favorite activities.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Volunteering at our local museum to restore a 2 truck Shay,
Volunteering at Nevada Northern Railway on occasion,
Model Railroading, woodworking, classic cars (1971 Mach 1 and 1961 Studebaker Hawk),
Volunteering with Habitat for Humanities, taking grandkids camping, etc.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And for the record: I ride my rowing machine for 30 minutes five days a week, but I'd hardly call it one of my favorite activities.

Rowing machine, I think I’ve used one of those before, not sure though.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I used to swim an hour in the ocean beyond the buoys before the life guards came on duty at Sandy Hook, NJ. Stopped by a couple boats and asked what they were catching :) . The best part - it never felt like exercise. I just enjoyed the water.

Circa 2014, the Jaws movie reruns started. It's based on true story so I looked it up; 1916 Jersey Shore shark attacks. Five died. The attacks bracket where I was swimming. A few days later, the shark sighting pics were posted at Coney Island and Monmouth beach, NJ. That put and end to my swimming adventures.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I would never enter water shared with something that thinks of me as lunch.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Those 1916 attacks were in what was brackish, if not fresh water, were believed to have been attacks by Bull Sharks who have been known to swim in fresh water. Several years ago a Bull was caught in the Mississippi River near St. Louis.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Those 1916 attacks were in what was brackish, if not fresh water, were believed to have been attacks by Bull Sharks who have been known to swim in fresh water. Several years ago a Bull was caught in the Mississippi River near St. Louis.
Yes. The final two attacks were in Matawan Creek, well upstream from the bay.

A corollary to my story: I had a friend - looks like Arnold, built like Arnold, talks like Arnold - who Kayaked from Staten Island to the NJ shore in Raritan Bay. In shallow water, he saw a huge shark but didn't know the type. I showed him several pictures and he ID'ed a bull shark.

Now I swim at Lake Welch, Harriman State Park, Stony Point NY. Biggest fish I've seen was 4".

The park's land was donated by the heirs of Edward H. Harriman, the railroad magnate. His NY mansion (summer residence) was donated to Columbia University. I stayed their for a week long mathematics / engineering seminar delivered by Columbia. The mansion was impressive.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Before I got into trains a couple years ago my main hobby was miniature wargaming and i still dabble in that.

I enjoy bike riding, video games and reading, but my longest running hobby is playing music. I've been playing Bass of one form or another for almost 30 years. Currently I'm play about weekly in a country group and for church. Mostly electric with upright once in a while.

I'm also very slowly learning the pedal steel guitar.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts